We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

I will be traveling to Spain this summer and would like to exchange my US dollars into Euros before I leave. Does anyone know of a reputable currency exchange place near Glendale that can covert to foreign currency? I would like to avoid going to downtown if possible, so anywhere else that has good rates and low fees?

Mentioned in this post
Glendale
Glendale
California
6 replies to this topic
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,054 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

I haven't exchanged currency in over 10 years. I just use my ATM card and credit cards overseas. As soon as you land, you'll see ATMs in the airport. Use your ATM to get cash and you're set. The only potential obstacle is if you plan to use public transit costing only a Euro or two. If the ATM issues large bills, e.g. 20e or 50e (the latter of which I have experienced), you might not be able to buy the public transit fare since most vending machines won't change bills that are large. Once you arrive at your hotel, reception will make change (or any bank you visit will do so).

If you're worried about it, buy a small amount of currency before you leave. If you do, it's not going to matter much what the exchange rate and fees are since you're only changing a small amount.

Edited: 08 March 2016, 02:47
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,606 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

I haven't exchanged currency before a trip in a very long time either. In countries with good banking systems, I just use my ATM upon arrival (call your bank before you go to let them know you are traveling). Once I have my money, I stop by the nearest convenience store or coffee place and buy something, pay with a large bill, and get small money as change. There are almost always places to do this in the arrivals hall in airports very close to the ATM machines.

I always carry a couple hundred in USD as a backup that I can exchange on arrival if for some reason my ATM card doesn't work (this has never happened to me, but I carry the back up anyway).

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

I agree with the above, I don't exchange large amounts of money, either. I get $100 US in the local currency before I leave (my bank, Wells Fargo, does this, but last year they charged a hefty fee, so I'd look around next time). That's my emergency fund or I use it if I can't pay for my airport transportation with a credit card. Then I put 90% of my expenses on my credit card (which doesn't charge exchange fees), and if I need cash for walking-around money, I use my WFB ATM card.

Glendale, California
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

Hi Candy,

I still like to use cash because you never know when you'll need it (taxis, tips, etc.) plus card numbers can be stolen which I can only imagine would be a headache to settle overseas. So I actually go to a location locally here in Glendale called Currency Exchange International. They're located in the Glendale Galleria mall on the 1st floor. I travel a lot, at least twice a year and I have tried them all. The ATMS, airports, banks, but frankly they have all had either high fees, terrible rates, or make me wait while they order my currency. I came across currency exchange international just walking in the Glendale Galleria and their rates are really good, they hold all the main currencies in stock (I usually wait to the last minute so this is helpful) and they also waive half the exchange fee for multiple reasons (student, military, coupon- which I found at the bottom of their website). I don't really like the airports or the ATMs because their rates usually a worse then many other locations and I don't like using banks because they always have to order my currency. If you plan on using this place click this link because you can get their coupon for 50% off your exchange rate.

www.glendalecurrencyexchange.com

Mentioned in this post
Glendale
Glendale
California
Glendale Galleria
Glendale Galleria
243 Reviews
Glendale, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

Candy and Lauren are in cahoot.

Specifically asking about a Glendale For Ex. Oh, please.

Edited: 09 March 2016, 05:57
Mentioned in this post
Glendale
Glendale
California
M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the best place to change foreign currency?

This has happened a few times recently. One person makes their first post asking about where to exchange. They get some vague answers. Then a few days later someone else comes in with their first post telling about a great place. It's a not-very-long con.

Edited: 09 March 2016, 05:58
Reply to: Where's the best place to change foreign currency?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glendale