We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a romantic relaxing vacation

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Looking for a romantic relaxing vacation

My husband and I will be celebrating our anniversary in mid March 2016 and are looking for a northern California location where we can just relax and enjoy each others company. We have never been to Guerneville and are wondering if this a good place to visit for what we are looking for? We are of minority decent and although in California we don't expect and hope not to have to worry about this, it is a concern for me that the area is not an area that has problems with people of different races. Things we are looking for...

Good food (restaurant recommendations)

Nice place to stay (like the cottages with kitchen areas)

Maybe some shopping

Any other good recommendations you may want to share.

Thank you for your time and help

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Looking for a romantic relaxing vacation

Welcome to the Forums!

How long do you plan on staying? There are some nice cottages for rent in/around Guerneville. I was looking once, and although we didn't make the trip, I was impressed by what was on offer. I happened to be looking at http://www.riverhomes.com/ but there are more on vrbo, etc.

March could be iffy given the amount of rain we've had. The Russian River is known to flood in rainy winters. But if you can find a place a bit higher than the river and with a fireplace, I think it might be what you're looking for. Not sure about fine dining in Guerneville but, again, Healdsburg isn't far.

Not far from Guerneville is Healdsburg which has some lovely B&Bs. Or, to the west is Jenner. Occidental might suit as well.

I sincerely doubt you'll have any issues regarding race or ethnicity.

Happy Anniversary.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Looking for a romantic relaxing vacation

My husband and I spent a week in a rental home in Guerneville a few summers ago. The house seems to have been removed from the VRBO website where we found it, unfortunately. As much as we loved the house and pool, we found Guerneville itself disappointing. There were one nice coffee shop and a couple of restaurants (one was quite good--can't recall the name offhand but I can check for you), but I think that you might find Healdsburg a better place if you want nice restaurants and shops. There is virtually no shopping in downtown Guerneville. You might find rentals in Healdsburg more expensive, but it's worth checking. We also rented a house just outside of Healdsburg proper, and we liked the mix of "rural" and town.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
3. Re: Looking for a romantic relaxing vacation

If you don't mind my asking, What did you end up doing? My husband and I are planning a trip in June. Still in the beginning stages and I am curious about places to stay, eat, etc. Thanks.

4. Re: Looking for a romantic relaxing vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2017, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Guerneville
Recent Conversations
More Guerneville Topics