We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guerneville wedding...departure help

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Guerneville wedding...departure help

I'll be attending a wedding in Guerneville in mid-June. Getting there is less of a concern but I have questions about leaving afterward. I'm planning to drive from Guerneville back to the Bay Area on the Monday after the wedding. Flights home depart around 2PM. Is SFO or OAK better for this scenario? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Guerneville
Guerneville
Sonoma County, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guerneville wedding...departure help

Since you'll be traveling at mid-day, I think it's 50-50.

If you use SFO, you'll cross the GG Bridge. If you use OAK, you'll cross over to I80, probably on Highway 37. The traffic on I80 can be bad around the Bay Bridge, but again, you'll be traveling when the traffic won't be too horrible.

I would use the airport with the most convenient flight times and best price. I'd also opt for the non-stop.

Level Contributor
1,231 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guerneville wedding...departure help

Shouldn't be a problem going to either, since your flight is at 2 I'm guessing you want to be to the airport around noon-12:30. Leave Guernville around 10 and you should be fine, traffic will be cleared up by then, I will say Oakland is a much smaller airport and easier to get into and out of, but either place will be fine

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guerneville wedding...departure help

The one thing I will mention though is if you go to San Francisco then you will have to go through the city for a little while so you will have to deal with stoplights and such, as opposed to Oakland which will be on the freeway the whole time

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Oakland
Oakland
California
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guerneville wedding...departure help

Thank you all for the input! As long as I don't have to deal with 5 hours of traffic, I'll be good!

Santa Rosa...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Guerneville wedding...departure help

Since I live in Guerneville (and own a B&B), I thought you might like another reply!

For a 2pm flight you'll want to leave at about 9:30 or 10am (2 hours to either airport, turn in your car and another hour or 2 for TSA and all that).

Definitely pick the airport with the best airfare. if all other things are equal, fly in/out of Oakland. Smaller airport = smaller lines.

If OAK - you'll pay the bridge toll (Richmond Bridge) on your way north and you can pay cash. No toll heading south. Program your GPS to get yourself through the mess of freeway that is the East Bay and once on 101 north (or south on your way home) follow the directions you'll get from your B&B as GPS is less reliable as the best directions in our area.

If SFO - do NOT take 101 from the airport. take 380 due west to 280 north. once on 280 keep in the left 2 lanes and take Hwy1/19th ave to the Golden Gate Bridge (this keeps you from having to deal with downtown SF traffic. Still lots of stop lights, but better traffic flow and on 280 traffic screams along at about 75mph). Bridge toll only for southbound traffic (you need to prepay or pay w/in 24 hours online or your rental car co will triple it and bill you). Once across the bridge just follow your B&B's directions.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Guerneville
Guerneville
Sonoma County, CA
Oakland
Oakland
California
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guerneville wedding...departure help

Wow thank you for the detailed driving directions!

7. Re: Guerneville wedding...departure help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2017, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Guerneville
More Guerneville Topics