We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"

Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"

We will be in the SF area for several days and plan a one-night stay at Beach House in Half Moon Bay. We love nature trails and the ocean. If we only have one full day and night in Half Moon Bay, would you suggest the HMB Coastside Trail and walking around Pillar Point Harbor? Local (or frequent visitor) suggestions for lunch and dinner stops, since it's such a quick stay? Anything else?

Someone mentioned horseback riding on the beach---anyone who's had that experience, I'd love any feedback. Finally, transportation from Half Moon Bay back into San Francisco (near Union Station)---Uber? Shuttle? Any mass transportation option?

Thank you so much, in advance. I always get such great input through TripAdvisor experts.

5 replies to this topic
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,364 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"

If you can't drive then it's not worth it to go to Half Moon Bay, I think. It'll take so long to get out there by public transport, and only a fraction of what you want to see is feasible without a car. You can get to the town, but most of what you're suggesting is outside of town.

The public transport option is Caltrain to Samtrans Route #294: samtrans.com/schedulesandmaps/…294.html

Note the limited schedule in that link though. But an Uber from SF would be prohibitively expensive. At least $80 one-way, I would guess. And, again, Uber just takes you to a single destination, so could only get you to one of the places on your list and you'd then have to find a way to the next.

There are other places in the Bay Area worth visiting that are easier to visit without a car.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,243 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"

The coastal trail is nice if you have the time. There is a tug-away restaurant called:

= = = = =

Moss Beach Distillery

Seafood & other carefully sourced American eats in an oceanside setting with a dog-friendly patio.

Happy hour food · Comfort food · Small plates

140 Beach Way, Moss Beach, CA 94038

mossbeachdistillery.com

(650) 728-5595

= = = = =

Good view from the restaurant.

But indeed without a car Half Moon Bay is very time-consuming to travel to.

Level Contributor
39,535 posts
1,021 reviews
3. Re: One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"

You will love The Beach House! Sam's Chowder House is a must for a meal in Half Moon Bay. You can book on Opentable. 🏖

Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
4. Re: One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"

I agree with colinaz .. without a car it will be tough to see all there is to see along the coast around HMB. And the drive from SF to HMB along the coast is lovely as well.

Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"

Thanks, Everyone! We will have a car so that we can do all that we want to do. Your input has been so helpful!

Reply to: One-Day Half Moon Bay "Itinerary"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Half Moon Bay