We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

Which is less harrowing out of Idyllwild, 74 to Palm Desert or 243 to Banning? We came up 74. Is 243 better?

7 replies to this topic
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

I've heard the 243 described as "harrowing", but it's never bothered me. Friends w/ RVs usually used the 74 but through Hemet, so it might be easier. The map does show a twisty section, though.

What do the locals tell you? And where are you headed?

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

Sorry it's so long in replying. We left on 6/11 . . . took 243 back to Palm Springs. We thought it was much easier than 74. I can't imagine pulling an RV either direction. They are so brave! Thanks so much for your response.

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

Glad it worked out for you. ***I drive a small car. I can't imagine towing an RV *anywhere*.

South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

Hi Kathy,

We are going up to Idyllwild from Los Angeles. I've never been and I really hate twisty, mountain roads...especially if they are narrow.....scared of heights and all of that. Since you took both, which would you recommend for me?

I appreciate the help!

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

Hi there! I have the same question as we are headed up there this week-end. I figure the roads are the same 3 years later. :) What did you end up doing?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

74 is the worst. Taking 243 through Banning is longer but not as bad as 74. Highway 74 was white knuckle driving for me. Last time to Mountain Center and Idyllwild I flew. Cheap and quicker and was not scared out of my mind.

Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,062 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?

I personally thought coming down 243 was a lot scarier than coming down 74.

Reply to: 74 or 243 out of Idyllwild?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Idyllwild