We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gourmet/authentic Chinese food

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Gourmet/authentic Chinese food

I visited Idylwild with friends back in the 90;s and remember there being a gourmet/authentic Chinese restaurant there. We ordered abalone which I have never forgotten. Does this restaurant ring a bell with anyone? I am hoping it is still there for an upcoming visit.

Mile High Cafe
$$ - $$$, American
Cafe Aroma
$$ - $$$, American, Fusion
Ferro
$$ - $$$, Pizza, Italian
4 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gourmet/authentic Chinese food

That place was called Hidden Village and they are closed.

Yes, I have been there.... the place sucked.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gourmet/authentic Chinese food

Idyllwild's Hidden Village is now closed, in it's place a mediocre pizza joint. No good Chinese restaurants in Idyllwild, but they're plenty of good restaurants, La Casita, Fratello’s Ristorante & Pizzeria, Cafe Aroma, Tommy's Kitchen, to name a few.

Edited: 17 September 2016, 11:00
Mentioned in this post
Cafe Aroma
Cafe Aroma
502 Reviews
Idyllwild, CA
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gourmet/authentic Chinese food

Actually I thought Hidden Village was OK. Not gourmet at all, just a standard Chinese menu, but presentable food. The owner kind of ruined the experience by trying to be funny too many times and it sort of came across as mildly insulting. It was in an old house, and the restroom had a bathtub in it, in case anyone needed to take a bath.

In my opinion, the best place to eat in Idyllwild is the Gastro Gnome, and the worst place is Jo-An's.

Edited: 17 September 2016, 12:28
Mentioned in this post
Idyllwild
Idyllwild
California
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gourmet/authentic Chinese food

We LOVE La Casita for Mexican. The food and the setting is unbeatable. We enjoyed sitting outside on the deck under the cedar trees. Awesome! Just awesome! Here is their web site --- http://www.idyllwildlacasita.com/

Edited: 17 September 2016, 16:18
Reply to: Gourmet/authentic Chinese food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Idyllwild