We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Denver, Colorado
11 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

My fiancé and I decided to book a short cruise out of Long Beach for our honeymoon. We'll be flying in 2 nights before our cruise departs, so will have some down time in Long Beach from Oct 27 - 29. We mostly just want to relax, but having only ever been out to LA once (and never to Long Beach) I don't know much about the area.

We want to stay somewhere nice, modern and romantic since it will be the first part of our Honeymoon. Near the port would be convenient, but not required (that's what Uber is for!). If anyone has recommendations on fairly-priced upscale hotels, I'd love to hear! We'd like to stay at or below $150/night, which for our dates puts the Renaissance in budget but not the Hyatt (to give an idea of what we're working with).

I'd also love to have a really classy and delicious dinner one night, preferably with an ocean/harbor view, and somewhere where we could theoretically walk along the beach afterwards.

Lastly, I just discovered that there are private gondola rides. Has anyone done these? Would you classify it as a fun romantic experience, or do they come off as a bit tacky?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
3 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,877 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

I’d go North to Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica or South to Huntington or Newport. Easy enough to get back to LB for your cruise.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,240 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Look at Hotel Maya and the restaurant on site- Fuego.

Restaurants with a view- Parkers Lighthouse/Steakhouse. Brunch at the LB museum.

favorite restaurants downtown- 555 East. Beachwood BBQ and Brewery. L'Opera. George's Greek Cafe.

Excellent restaurants in Seal Beach- love Walts Wharf, no view, but nice walk on beach before/after.

(Huntington Beach near the pier would be great too, but I'm not sure about $150)

Edited: 07 June 2018, 07:27
Mentioned in this post
Parkers' Lighthouse
Parkers' Lighthouse
1,110 Reviews
Long Beach, CA
L'Opera Ristorante
L'Opera Ristorante
339 Reviews
Long Beach, CA
George's Greek Cafe
George's Greek Cafe
821 Reviews
Long Beach, CA
Seal Beach
Seal Beach
288 Reviews
Seal Beach, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

You could Uber to Huntington Beach Pier for the afternoon/evening. Beautiful beach. I'm less familiar with the restaurants there, but Duke's has nice views. Perhaps one of the hotels has a nicer restaurant with views?

Recent Gondola Post

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32648…

Edited: 07 June 2018, 07:37
Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach Pier
Huntington Beach Pier
2,013 Reviews
Huntington Beach, CA
Reply to: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;