We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Denver, Colorado
11 posts
Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

My fiancé and I decided to book a short cruise out of Long Beach for our honeymoon. We'll be flying in 2 nights before our cruise departs, so will have some down time in Long Beach from Oct 27 - 29. We mostly just want to relax, but having only ever been out to LA once (and never to Long Beach) I don't know much about the area.

We want to stay somewhere nice, modern and romantic since it will be the first part of our Honeymoon. Near the port would be convenient, but not required (that's what Uber is for!). If anyone has recommendations on fairly-priced upscale hotels, I'd love to hear! We'd like to stay at or below $150/night, which for our dates puts the Renaissance in budget but not the Hyatt (to give an idea of what we're working with).

I'd also love to have a really classy and delicious dinner one night, preferably with an ocean/harbor view, and somewhere where we could theoretically walk along the beach afterwards.

Lastly, I just discovered that there are private gondola rides. Has anyone done these? Would you classify it as a fun romantic experience, or do they come off as a bit tacky?

Thanks in advance!

13 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,204 posts
1. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

I’d go North to Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica or South to Huntington or Newport. Easy enough to get back to LB for your cruise.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
2. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Look at Hotel Maya and the restaurant on site- Fuego.

Restaurants with a view- Parkers Lighthouse/Steakhouse. Brunch at the LB museum.

favorite restaurants downtown- 555 East. Beachwood BBQ and Brewery. L'Opera. George's Greek Cafe.

Excellent restaurants in Seal Beach- love Walts Wharf, no view, but nice walk on beach before/after.

(Huntington Beach near the pier would be great too, but I'm not sure about $150)

Edited: 07 June 2018, 07:27
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
3. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

You could Uber to Huntington Beach Pier for the afternoon/evening. Beautiful beach. I'm less familiar with the restaurants there, but Duke's has nice views. Perhaps one of the hotels has a nicer restaurant with views?

Recent Gondola Post

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32648…

Edited: 07 June 2018, 07:37
suburbs of indy
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Consider going to Catalina Island. You can take the Catalina Express from Long Boat. It is a hot spot for honeymooners.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
262 reviews
5. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

You should consider staying here in LA, not Long Beach, which is quite removed from the rest of the city. Your cruise is probably going to Avalon which is Catalina Island, don't go there if the ship will, too.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
243 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Long Beach is "removed" from LA, but that's what makes it awesome.

There's Pine St which is the small downtown drag with lots of bars and restaurants (The Federal and Bo Beau are my favorites on the street), and this would be walking distance from any of the downtown hotels on Ocean. There's also a Marriott downtown that's nice and has it's own restaurant.

Someone else suggested Hotel Maya which is closer to the water. Either way, you can walk downtown and also walk along Rainbow Harbor where there are restaurants and bars (a bit touristy but still fun).

Another option is taking a $10 or less Uber to Belmont Shores/2nd Street where there are some very good restaurants (Nick's, Saint and Second), but no views, just a lively scene.

If you wanted to Uber one night for dinner to Huntington Beach as others have recommended, I would say avoid Main Street and head down a tiny bit further to what's called "Pacific City" where there are tons of restaurants all in one big complex overlooking the water. If you wanted to stay in HB, the Hyatt is right there as well as another new hotel right next to Pacific City.

Level Contributor
104 posts
7. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

I recommend Sir Winston's restaurant, on the Queen Mary. The food is superb, and the atmosphere is romantic. You can stroll the decks of the giant ship ( over a mile of walking to see all of it )

You must get reservations.

Level Contributor
104 posts
8. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

I second the suggestion for Catalina. But use a chopper. The helipad is about 1/4 mile south of the Queen Mary.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
243 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Catalina is expensive (hotels and food), it’s cool but if you’re already going on a cruise I don’t know why you’d get on a boat and go do that.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions

Harry Bosch, I love it.

You can stay in LB and have a great time, don't worry about LA. Uber down to Belmont Shores & HB Pier, dine on the Queen Mary, check out Pine Ave.

Reply to: Honeymoon in Long Beach (Pre-Cruise) Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach