We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning First Trip to America

Hi All,

As the Interwebs is so full of information and it's difficult to filter through it all when you don't really know what you're looking for, I thought I'd throw my questions out to some seasoned travellers to ask for some recommendations.

I'm thinking of a two week trip in May/June. We need to be at Springville (just outside of LA) on one weekend and in Seattle the other weekend (the order of each doesn't matter). Flying in and out of LA seems the logical choice as it's the cheapest but may not be the most practical so open to suggestions there. We'd like to go to San Fran and Sacramento (reles). If possible, I'd like to get up to Vancouver and see a little bit of Canada seeing as we've flown all that way.

National Parks, scenery, wineries, shopping, culture, train journies are what I'd say we're looking for. I know everyone says go to Las Vegas but given it's going to eat a lot of time heading out that way, I'm leaving that off this trip.

Anyway, that's a bit of a brain dump. I appreciate any suggestions anyone has for us.

Cheers,

G.

14 replies to this topic
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning First Trip to America

I should have added, internal flights are an option given the distances and time. We were thinking San Fran to Seattle or San Fran to Vancouver.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning First Trip to America

Where is Springfield? I am not aware of it.

My initial impression is you are not grasping the distances involved between these places. You should do more research and ask more focused questions.

HTH

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning First Trip to America

Springville CA, 3.5 hours away from LA... out from Porterville/Bakersfield?? (I'm fairly familiar with this area)

LA, Springville (weekend), Yosemite, Sacramento. Fly to Seattle/Vancouver (weekend). Fly to SF, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica.

Edited: 14 November 2017, 11:10
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning First Trip to America

Wineries-- look at Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, along the central coast. Amador, Calaveras county and Lodi area near Yosemite. And there are some wine areas in the Delta near Sacramento-- Old Sugar Mill.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning First Trip to America

Thanks @lemoncurls, some great suggestions in there for us to consider and look at further :)

Cheers,

G.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,621 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning First Trip to America

Would you like any information about the city of LA, as you posted here...?

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning First Trip to America

@Plumeria D: Posted here for the want of a more generic forum and LA seemed to be the most likely start and end point. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Cheers,

G.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,312 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning First Trip to America

California forum: https:/…ShowForum-g28926-i29-California.html

Multi-country / multi-state Road Trips forum: https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning First Trip to America

Springville CA is not "just outside of LA" - it's a couple hundred miles and 3-3.5 hours away, on the other side of a mountain range. Pondering that, I'm wondering if you have an accurate grasp of the distances you're planning to cover.

To me, this is an awful lot of ground to get through in two weeks, even though two weeks is an awful lot of time for a vacation. It'd be more of a drive-by trip than a relaxing one (I say this as a fan of road trips). And I wouldn't even think of trying to cram in a whole nother country.

E.g. land LA 3nts (including day trip to Disney?) > 3.5 hour drive to Springville 2nts > 4hr drive to Yosemite 2nts > 4 hour drive to San Francisco 3nts > 2.5 hour drive to Sacramento 2nts > fly to Seattle 2nts.

To me, that's a very rushed trip - two nights gives only one full day in a place, 3 nights gives you two days, etc. If that sounds like fun, then great. You would need to plan those days carefully - there's not a lot of margin for just meandering around.

If you really do want to see any national parks (you could substitute Sequoia/Kings Canyon for Yosemite), you'll want to make those reservations quickly. Anything in or near a park sells out very quickly.

Edited: 16 November 2017, 10:51
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning First Trip to America

You're trying to do to much with not enough time.

Where are you from? It helps to know so we can reference distances that make sense to you - please edit your profile to include this information.

I've never heard of Springfield, but looking it up, it's nowhere near Los Angeles. It's like saying you have to be in Madrid, for the weekend so going to nearby London. Then, need to be in Reykjavik for the other weekend, but think it's convenient to fly in and out of London.... oh, but also want to squeeze in Paris, Athens, and Vienna.

Reply to: Planning First Trip to America
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted