We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Expo Line at night

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Metro Expo Line at night

I will be using the Metro Expo line during the day and night whilst I am in LA over the New Year, primarily for sporting events at the Staples Center and the LA Memorial Coliseum. The nearest station to my motel is La Cienega and Jefferson and I am staying at the Kings Lodge on Venice Boulevard.

Seeing as though I won't be hanging around at the venue after each game, I would expect the light rail trains would be reasonably busy through to my station. Am I assuming right and that safety shouldn't be a big concern on that line as long as I keep my wits about me?

3 replies to this topic
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,724 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Expo Line at night

The train will be fine. The motel would be more of an issue, imo. While you probably won't die if you stay there, the area is not very attractive, surrounded by small manufacturing. There are bars on the windows of the buildings nearby. I'm guessing you've already booked a non-refundable room here so there's not much to be done about that. Keep your eyes open (at night!) when walking in this neighborhood. The sidewalks will be empty and walking at night alone is not a great idea no matter where you are.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Expo Line at night

The Kings Lodge is equal distance from Culver Station as to La Cienga Station. I would go to Culver Station and walk there. You can see if there is a 33 bus coming soon on your phone app so you dont have to walk OR you can walk up Venice Blvd or Washington and then turn on the residential streets. Culver City homes in that area dont look bad, they are taken care of look hipster and modern. .So I wouldnt worry too much of safety compared to walking La Cienega which while not bad during daytime, it does feel sketchy. Culver does have issues with homelessness/panhandling on median of streets but havent been there lately so not sure if it was cleaned up.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Expo Line at night

I was going to walk along La Cienega to Venice Boulevard to get to my motel (main roads and well-lit) to increase my personal safety, but the Culver station open is worth considering too.

Edited: 16 November 2017, 20:17
Reply to: Metro Expo Line at night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted