We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwoods

Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Redwoods

Now that Muir Woods is so strictly regulated, where would be the best place for us to experience the redwoods, either while we're in the Carmel-Monterey area or on our way north to SF on Hwy 1--Henry Cowell or somewhere else?

7 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,839 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwoods

Henry Cowell is great - and is easily accessible. The nature trail by the Visitors center is really nice. If you have more time and want to drive up the mountain a bit, Big Basin is also a really nice park. It's got some great hikes - and also a short nature trail for those who want to be out in the redwoods, but not do an actual hike.

Those would be my top choices.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,210 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwoods

Agree with NM. Just getting to Big Basin state park is pretty winding and for some (well a lot in my experience) it can cause car sickness. If one gets to Henry Cowell by Hwy 17 and then to Felton, it is a relatively easy drive (well less winding)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,412 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwoods

If you want to visit Henry Cowell there is no reason to use Hwy 17. Just stay on Hwy 1 and in Santa Cruz, after the hairpin curve in the freeway you should be in the right lane and take the first exit (it happens right away) and you will very shortly come to a major intersection. It is labeled Boulder Creek or Big Basin This is Hwy 9. Seven miles later Henry Cowell is on the right side, on the outskirts of Felton.

There is an interpretive trail of almost a mile. Pick up a brochure at the visitor's center. Big Basin is wonderful but much larger and getting there is as belomiser describes. I would not attempt it without having half a day to devote to it.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,196 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwoods

If you're driving into Big Sur, Pfeiffer-Big Sur State Park has quite a few, and they're on much of the highway in that area.

Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwoods

Thank you so much for the help

Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redwoods

Very helpful info--car sickness could be an issue with me!

Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redwoods

Many thanks for the help.

Reply to: Redwoods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted