We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Topic
Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

We'll be staying in Pacific Grove in July. I turn 40 the week we're there. We'll be with my 6 and 8 year old kids, and my in laws. Can you recommend a fun event that we could all do? Is there any kind of sea kayaking kids could do? What about a nice restaurant that would be good for well-behaved kids too?

Can you help me think of something fun?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,606 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

There is a fun boat tour in Elkhorn Slough, just north of Monterey - you'll see lots of wildlife there. It is a slough, so very calm water. People kayak out there too, so if there is an outfit that rents kayaks there and/or does tours, that might be a good option.

I don't know about taking the kids sea kayaking though - I don't have any experience with that - but the water is very cold and can be rough. I'd contact some of the kayaking outfits and see what they think.

If you want to get out on the ocean, there are boat trips you can take of varying durations. We did a short harbor boat trip with our extended family, which included kids aged 8 and 11 - they'd never been out on a boat before, so we chose the short trip in case they didn't do well with it, but they loved it.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

The Elkhorn Slough Safari is a great way to see sea otters, birds, sea lions and other wildlife. The Safari takes off in Moss Landing and children must be at least 3 years old. If this is not an option you can always take a whale watch tour. Several leave from Old Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey every few hours. Since you will be with young ones you might also want to check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

As for restaurants, there are several great seafood restaurants (with kids menus) on Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row in Monterey. The Fish Hopper and Domenico's are both popular restaurants with great views. Benihana's is also a fun place to take kids as they prepare your meal right in front of you.

seemonterey.com/tourist-activities/family-ad…

Mentioned in this post
Elkhorn Slough Safari
Elkhorn Slough Safari
256 Reviews
Moss Landing, CA
Old Fisherman's Wharf
Old Fisherman's Wharf
2,353 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Monterey Bay Aquarium
12,763 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Cannery Row
Cannery Row
3,914 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Fish Hopper
Fish Hopper
3,064 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

Thanks. The Elkhorn Slough Safari sounds really fun. My kids are definitely old enough. We've done whale watching tours in Monterey before, and got really seasick. This looks like a much better option for us.

What time of day do you think we should book? AM? PM? Midday?

Mentioned in this post
Elkhorn Slough Safari
Elkhorn Slough Safari
256 Reviews
Moss Landing, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
6,325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

It depends on what your family likes.

It can be more overcast in the morning; sun can peak out in the afternoon (not every day but more often than in the morning).

It also depends if your family are early risers and can be there on time for morning tour.

Midday and afternoon will be warmer than morning.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

You had me at "warmer," mini.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

How long will it take me, mid week, to get from Pacific Grove to Elkhorn in the middle of the day (July)?

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

The drive from PG to Elkhorn Slough takes about 25 minutes. Keep in mind that our summers tend to be cool and sometimes foggy. So, though the afternoon is likely to be warmer than the morning, it will still probably be cool, especially out on the water. Just be prepared with hooded jackets.

A very nice restaurant in PG is Taste Cafe and Bistro. They welcome children (the owner has four), and the food is very good. www.tastecafebistro.com.

If you all would like a treat after dinner, you can go to the Ghiradelli chocolate shop on Cannery Row. They have sundaes, hot chocolate, etc.

Have a great birthday!

Edited: 19 January 2012, 15:11
Mentioned in this post
Cannery Row
Cannery Row
3,914 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

Great. Thanks.

Level Contributor
38,508 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

The sundaes at Ghiradelli are delicious! We enjoyed kayaking with Adventures by the Sea in Cannery Row. They were very helpful and being out on the water in this area is beautiful. Schooner's Bistro on the Bay @ The Plaza has a nice patio area and very good food. :)

Mentioned in this post
Cannery Row
Cannery Row
3,914 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should I celebrate my 40th birthday?

Thanks.