We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting from SF--hotel ?

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting from SF--hotel ?

We will be staying in Napa Valley for 1 night during our week-long trip to San Francisco the week of July 4. So we will be driving from SF to Napa Valley. I have been given the task of picking a B&B--hubby and I think we'd prefer a B&B over a hotel. I looked here on TA and thought the Arbor House looked nice (rated #3) -- but I really have no clue in what area I should even be looking. A view would be nice but it doesn't look like a room with a view is possible in our price range ($300 max for the night incl taxes and fees). I couldn't believe some of the prices I was seeing! If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. I'm also a little concerned about availability filling up quickly. Thanks in advance.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 06:45
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting from SF--hotel ?

Holiday periods are busy in the Napa Valley. B&Bs with views are very rare and are very, very expensive. The Arbor House gets great reviews on TA but it's in an area of Napa that is not downtown. You would most likely have to drive to dinner but you would have to from most of the chain hotels in Napa as well.

You're only staying one night so if you can get a one night stay there around the 4th, you might want to jump on it. $300 at that time of year is going to be on the lower end of lodging if you include taxes and fees.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting from SF--hotel ?

Is there something you would recommend that is more downtown? I apologize for not doing more research--I'm overwhelmed! We still can't decide on a hotel in SF!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting from SF--hotel ?

Hi SG4,

Arbor Guest House is lovely-- Dan and Candy (the proprietors) are consummate hosts. :)

You mention your sticker shock-- for anyone visiting Napa, this is suggested reading:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32766-i258-k13701…

B&Bs w/rooms w'a view of vineyards (or even just country fields) typically run around $600-3000 per night during peak seasons (esp holidays). Please note that the prices we just gave count in all of the costs associated w/a stay (ie, taxes, surcharges, breakfast, coffee, etc). Too many folks book a room based on rate, and then get even BIGGER sticker shock when they check out, looking at all those extra charges (often adding as much as $60-200/day per couple).

A cautionary tale:

First time visitors to the Napa Valley imagine getting a room with a vineyard view, birds singing (cue up some Mozart or Debussy), and crickets chirping at night.

What they *don't* count on is:

-Cars zooming by on the highway 300 feet away

-Tractors rumbling through the vineyards at 4 am

-Smudge pots billowing smoke into their room at night

-Large fans (made from old aircraft engines) that turn on when it gets really cold, to circulate the air (think low flying bomber, and you've got the sound right).

We're not being melodramatic, or exagerating--when you buy a home in the Napa Valley, you literally need to sign a document that says you understand that this is an agricultural community, and that you are agreeing to live in a place with are associated agricultural smells, sounds, and other things (really!). :)

You can certainly book a room up on the hill, at a place like Poetry or Au Berge-- they are far enough away from these things so as not to be intrusive.

But the big "shocker" for some who imagine that pastoral bird-singing tableau is the actual, nitty-gritty down 'n dirty nature of farming grape vines.

For this reason (and others, primarily the Ag Preserve Ordinance), most lodging facilities (hotels, motels, Inns, B&Bs) are in towns like Napa, Sonoma, St Helena, Yountville, and Calistoga.

And as crazy as it may sound, the noise "in town" of some cars going by at 25 mph is actually a lot quieter than being out in those vineyards, some nights!

Add to that the convenience of being able to walk to dinner (if you're staying at a place in town), and you now know why most folks who visit the Napa Valley wind up staying in one of the towns mentioned above.

Reading the TA reviews for any hotel/B&B/small Inn can be a big help in planning your trip.

But bear in mind that Napa's B&Bs have some of the highest TA ratings of any Inns in the world. In fact, the top 30 B&Bs in Napa Valley ALL rank higher than the number TWO hotel in Napa (ie, have average ratings more than 89% positive). So take that into account when sorting though all your choices!

We hope you have a wonderful visit to the Napa Valley. It's a very special place. :)

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting from SF--hotel ?

You might check in Calistoga. Good friends got married there a few years back (most fun wedding weekend ever!!) and stayed in a B&B there -- walking distance to restaurants in town and not horribly expensive.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting from SF--hotel ?

We ended up picking the River Terrace Inn. It looks great. We finally decided not to sweat it as we are really only going to sleep there. Would love to come back with just my husband and stay at the Wine Country Inn in St. Helena--that was my favorite! But we decided that for the price, we aren't going to be there long enough to really enjoy it.

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting from SF--hotel ?

SG425 - You've made a reasonable compromise, River Terrace Inn is well-located to enjoy all that downtown Napa & the Oxbow district has to offer, and a great jumping-off location for heading up-valley to enjoy the wineries and scenery. Staying in downtown Napa around the 4th of July holiday, hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the fireworks display at Veteran's Park a few blocks from the hotel, or at Silverado Resort, and perhaps take in the holiday parade with a classic, small-town vibe.

7. Re: Visiting from SF--hotel ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:42