We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August trip with granddaughter

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
August trip with granddaughter

We have rented a condo on the beach near the pier in Oceanside for 3 nights late August. We will be there with our 2 year old granddaughter. We want to do things close by- other beaches, hikes, places to go for dinner etc? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
NJ
Level Contributor
925 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August trip with granddaughter

Lego land is nearby.

If you are willing to drive the kids might enjoy the San Diego zoo or Sea World.

I like the part in the bay / lagoon with the little fake lighthouse.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,759 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo
23,890 Reviews
San Diego, CA
SeaWorld
SeaWorld
9,010 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August trip with granddaughter

you only have 3 nights. if you want to go to legoland, the kid might like that. you could take a drive down to la jolla (north end of san diego). go just after high tide and check out the tide pools at the cove. go to the children's pool and look at the sea lions and then, just hang out at the beach around oceanside. there's a nice pier at carlsbad you could walk out on.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,006 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August trip with granddaughter

She is 2 so she'll be very happy playing in the sand near your condo.

At that age they are very happy to be with the adults they love and just need space to be active. I think she is really too young to enjoy Legoland.

IF you would enjoy a trip to Balboa Park and the zoo in San Diego then by all means take her. IF you want to hike and carry her than that is another story but I don't think that she'd really "hike" at that age.

The diner on the pier would be fun for all of you.

Oceanside also has a great street fair /farmer's market once a week that you could all enjoy. Not sure what else you'd like to do.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,759 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,747 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: August trip with granddaughter

Hello,

There are so many places and activities to enjoy in and around Oceanside! Rent bikes at the activity center by the Oceanside Pier called Wheel Fun Rentals; walk the Pier with her and go to Ruby's Diner at the end; visit local parks - there are several parks with playgrounds (and some along the beach); the weekly farmers market on Thursdays also has a sunset market in the evening; if the condo does not have a pool, there is a public pool at Brooks Street Swim Center.

I agree with Riff that she might be too young to enjoy Legoland; however, SeaWorld or the Zoo would capture her attention. Oceanside has a Welcome Center that sells discounted attraction tickets; they are located on Coast Highway and open 7 days a week. The number is 760-721-1101.

Enjoy your vacation in Oceanside!

- Dana

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
Oceanside Pier
Oceanside Pier
1,710 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
Ruby's Diner
Ruby's Diner
837 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,759 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
SeaWorld
SeaWorld
9,010 Reviews
San Diego, CA
California Welcome Center
California Welcome Center
143 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August trip with granddaughter

Sorry, I did not see the messages until now! Thanks for all your replies! La Jolla sounds beautiful! How far is it from Oceanside? Where is the children's pool and sea lions? She does go hiking in a back pack carrier so we would be interested in some shorter hikes. I will check out the farmers market. Do you know what times it is open? I love the bike idea if it is something she can go on. Any recommendations for a nice but not too spendy dinner and a place we can get ice cream? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
6. Re: August trip with granddaughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2016, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Oceanside