We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coaster from San Diego

NJ
Level Contributor
925 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
coaster from San Diego

We're returning to Oceanside for a reunion. I'm wondering if we can make this trip without a rental car.

Given the choice to come north on a Saturday morning & returning Monday for a flight home, would you take the coaster or rent a car? We'll have carry on luggage with wheels. Once in Oceanside friends will pick us up & drive us around, although we can walk from our hotel to the station.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,008 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coaster from San Diego

IF you are just wanting to go from downtown San Diego to Oceanside and then just stay there without sightseeing anywhere else you can certainly take the train.

You know you'll have to get from the airport to the train station downtown and back so that means either bus, taxi or uber car each way.

Depending on the time of day you need a train you might end up on Amtrak in one direction or the other. Here is the schedule:

gonctd.com/wp-content/…Coaster-Schedule.pdf

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
NJ
Level Contributor
925 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coaster from San Diego

Riff

We will not do any sightseeing in Oceanside. I'm more worried about traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,008 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coaster from San Diego

Traffic will depend on time of day during the week and date of drive on the Saturday.

It will also depend on if there is an accident or not.

The train may be more relaxing for you since you don't need the car for any other purpose.

As mentioned in Goodbeer's other post , some folks like to take the scenic beach route for sightseeing along the way so they drive and stop off a bit.

If you are just interested in "getting there" then you don't need to do that.

NJ
Level Contributor
925 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coaster from San Diego

Seems like a personal choice.

We'd head up the 1st Saturday morning in August then come back that Monday morning for a noon flight home. To arrive at SAN on Monday we'll be in a bit of "rush hour traffic" so I'm a bit concerned about that & think the train would obviate the problem. When heading to an AP I prefer options that aren't at the mercy of traffic conditions / accidents / weather etc.

Edited: 04 July 2016, 00:09
San Diego
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coaster from San Diego

I live in Oceanside and always take the Coaster to and from San Diego when I fly. The trip is relaxing and only takes an hour. If you don't mind walking a block, there is a bus across from the downtown Santa Fe station that takes you straight to the airport.

MTS bus route 992 picks up passengers directly across the street from Santa Fe Depot, on the corner of Kettner Boulevard and West Broadway.

Once you exit the COASTER, walk south (toward Broadway) and then cross the trolley tracks to reach the bus stop on Broadway just east of Kettner Boulevard in front of the Starbucks.

Check the schedule -

gonctd.com/wp-content/…Coaster-Schedule.pdf

It looks like the last train on Monday leaves Oceanside at 5:41PM, any later you'll need to take Amtrak.

You can get Coaster tickets online -

http://www.gonctd.com/san-diego-airport#992

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
COASTER
COASTER
621 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
NJ
Level Contributor
925 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coaster from San Diego

nanchi

Thank you. It's a noon flight home. We'll be on the 7;45 a.m. Coaster so we get to the AP by 10 a.m. I'm sure the business commuters will love us & all our stuff.

Mentioned in this post
COASTER
COASTER
621 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
7. Re: coaster from San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2017, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Oceanside
;