We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

Hi

I can stay at the Westin Resort and Spa for about $50 less per night. Is Rancho de las Palmas really that much better or are they pretty much the same?

Also

Which has more shade by the pool?

Is the only pool difference the Splashtopia/lazy river?

Does the Westin have some places nearby to grab a bite.....like Subway etc?

I keep seeing timeshare stuff about the Westin...is this something we must attend?

I have an 11 year old son, a teenage son and his girlfriend will be coming.

Thanks

Palm Springs Tennis Club
Palm Springs Tennis Club
#25 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Colony Palms Hotel
Colony Palms Hotel
#27 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
7 Springs Inn & Suites
7 Springs Inn & Suites
#29 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

I stayed at the Rancho las Palmas when it was still a Marriott a few years ago. There was very little shade around the big pool at that time AND the locals and their kids were using the pool. No control over parking and entrance--so most of the pool area was used by people not stayiing there.

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

Oh...I would not like a bunch of people coming in. I wonder if it's fenced around the property now?

Chicago
Level Contributor
258 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

At Rancho Las Palmas upon check in they give you Splashtopia wristbands for each day of your stay. You cannot get into Spashtopia without them. There is some shade but not a whole lot, get your seats early enough so that you get under an umbrella (there were lots of them but they seem to go early). You can rent cabanas for shade but I think they are expensive. The adult tranquility pool always had lots of available seats with umbrellas (and we were there during one of the busiest weeks of the year)

Cannot compare to the Westin as I have not stayed there, but I could not recommend Rancho Las Palmas more, especially if you have children.

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

I was reading more reviews and people mentioned double beds at Rancho de las Palmas? I cannot sleep in a double with my husband....LOL.

Edited: 17 April 2010, 12:57
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

Since you are concerned about shade, let me throw out the Hyatt Grand Champions in Indian Wells. It has 7 pools, a waterslide (small compared to Splashtopia) water features in a grove of palm trees for the most shade.

They have 1 King or 2 Q in a room, plus a step down living room with sleeper sofa and TV with large balconies.

…hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/gallery/photos.jsp…

I've stayed at RLP as well, and there is a lack of shade, but it is close to lots of restaurants and the River Entertainment complex across the street. They do give wrist bands to guests.

…hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

I've not stayed at the Westin, but I don't care for the location away from Hwy 111.

Mentioned in this post
Indian Wells
Indian Wells
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Chicago
Level Contributor
258 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

I too was concerned about the double beds (I had heard people mention them in the reviews) I asked for a King with a sofa bed at check in and they were granting my request when my wife said that we should stay with the two doubles to have less of a hassle.

I am 6'4" and the double bed was fine for me, my wife and I shared it with no problem. But you can request a different room type.

Edited: 17 April 2010, 22:13
Chicago
Level Contributor
258 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

If you do go with Rancho Las Palmas and then call ahead to change your room I would also request a room away from Splashtopia. We stayed a few weeks ago in Bldg. 1 (here is a link to the property map: rancholaspalmas.com/accommodations/resortmap…

and it was so peaceful and the views were lovely from our balcony. I would avoid the rooms that circle Splashtopia. Your balcony looks down on the pools which is hardly as nice a view and the outer bldgs are still only a short walk to the pools.

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

Thanks all.....

Is the lazy river part of splashtopia? If so, it doesn't sound very relaxing. :)

The issue with the double beds is not length, it's how we sleep (on our sides with our knees bent).....LOL.

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

HI again

Anyone know about the time share thing....and little places to grab food nearby?

Thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rancho de las Palmas or Westin.....I need some advice please

The Westin is not by any place to walk to, to grab food. You can use google map aerial to see the entrance near Dinah Shore Dr. and Bob Hope, and there is a sand desert across the street.

However, you can drive to the restaurants down at the River and Hwy. 111.