We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
75 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

Hello!

My husband's dream has come true and we are going to AlienCon in Pasadena next week. We are staying at Hilton but I see their continental breakfast is $19 pp. We are seniors and the trip has really stretched our budget. Are there any reasonably priced places to eat ( especially a good breakfast but all meals) that are within walking ( up to 1/4 mile or so) distance of Convention Center? Also, are there things I can do or walk to see ( within 3/4 mile or so) I am going to convention but am definitely not as enthusiastic about it as my husband and can't see myself sitting at panel discussions all day. Thank you so much!

( I have tried researching this but not doing too well)

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
6 replies to this topic
Orange, California
Level Contributor
123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

Colorado Blvd is full of restaurants, many are small, independent places that may not appear here on trip advisor. Many are Asian or Mediterranean, best to explore and decide in person based on your tastes. The bigger, well known restaurants near your hotel on Colorado Blvd are going to be pricier.

Colorado Blvd restaurants:

Europane Bakery is across Colorado Blvd from the Paseo Colorado shopping center. It is a French bakery cafe that is highly rated.

Urth Cafe is on Colorado & Madison. Features organic coffee and teas and offers breakfast along with lunch.

Rotisserie Chicken of California is on Los Robles north of Colorado and next to the Pacific Asia museum, which is a small, but fascinating museum.

The restaurants on Lake Ave, about 1/2 mile east of your hotel tend to be less expensive than those on Colorado Blvd. Numerous affordable options on Lake between Green and Del Mar. A couple of sandwich shops, Panda Express, Urban Plates, Lemonade to name a few.

As for things to do, the Paseo Colorado is an open air shopping mall. It is undergoing construction, but good for some window shopping. If you want to see a film, Laemmle's movie theatre shows great independent/foreign films. It's at Colorado/El Molino. Right next door is Vroman's bookstore, a huge independent that has great gifts along with its collection of books.

Not within walking distance but still enjoyable is the Norton Simon museum at Colorado and Orange Grove. Also, The Huntington Library is a beautifully set museum/garden in nearby San Marino.

Enjoy!

Edited: 09 June 2018, 00:37
Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Urth Cafe
Urth Cafe
304 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
California
California
United States
Pacific Asia Museum
Pacific Asia Museum
94 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Urban Plates
Urban Plates
209 Reviews
Irvine, CA
Lemonade
Lemonade
356 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Norton Simon Museum
Norton Simon Museum
1,094 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Orange
Orange
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

AmazonBlue has given you some wonderful suggestions. I also think that Europane (a local treasure) and Urth Cafe, both within .3 mile of your hotel, are great suggestions for breakfast.

For low-key, relaxing ways to spend a little time right in the neighborhood, a very short walk from your hotel---not neccessarily "tourist attractions" but a fine way to while away some time like a local:

1. Vromans Bookstore and the cafe inside-- one of LA's most beloved independent bookstores.

2. Laemmle Theaters next door, for art-house movies that don't ever make the multiplex.

3. Pacific Asia Museum and Museum of California Art.

4. Central Library at Walnut/Garfield-- a beautiful circa 1920 building and fine place to read and relax.

5. The plaza of the Westin Hotel, with its lovely fountains and view of the gorgeous dome of Pasadena City Hall. I don't normally recommend chain restaurants, but a patio table at California Pizza Kitchen, on that plaza, is a fine place to enjoy the view and the fountains while having a nice salad or pizza.

6. See what is playing at Pasadena Playhouse, a well-known and old local live theater, lovely building.

7. The mall, of course, across the street from the CC.

These are the very closest things-- all within less than 1/2 mile.

Mentioned in this post
Urth Cafe
Urth Cafe
304 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
Pacific Asia Museum
Pacific Asia Museum
94 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
California
California
United States
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
California Pizza Kitchen
California Pizza Kitchen
617 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Pasadena Playhouse
Pasadena Playhouse
109 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

Going just a little further afield...

Old Pasadena, worth the walk or short bus ride.

Norton Simon Museum (MUST do), just beyond Old Pasadena.

Gamble House and surrounding neighborhood-- a must if interested in historic, significant architecture (Let me know if interested and I will suggest a self-guided neighborhood tour).

Huntington Gardens, most important local attraction, do not miss it. Requires a short taxi or uber ride, maybe 5-10 minutes.

Some restaurants we like a lot, some walkable, asterisk indicates "don't miss":

1. Settebello for excellent upscale pizza in nice room, near Vromans and Pasadena Playhouse.

2. Bistro 45 for fancy, expensive French

3. El Portal for good everyday Mexican fare, with some very tasty Yucatan specialties-- very nice patio for outdoor dining.

4. *Lunasia, for divine Dim Sum (it is a sister to a long-established, great Dim Sum place in Alhambra).

5. * Maestro for delicious, very inventive and upscale Mexican food, in Old Pasadena. Scallops in corn-fungus (think mushrooms) risotto was amazing, best dish I've had this year.

Old Pasadena and Colorado Blvd. are full of restaurants, you'll have loads of choices. These are just some favorites.

The nearby San Gabriel Valley is the center of a huge Asian community, mostly Chinese-- with a near-infinite selection of regional Chinese restaurants. 10 minute drive. Let me know if you are interested and I can suggest a few.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 03:25
Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Norton Simon Museum
Norton Simon Museum
1,094 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Old Pasadena
Old Pasadena
622 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
The Gamble House
The Gamble House
500 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Settebello
Settebello
119 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Pasadena Playhouse
Pasadena Playhouse
109 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
El Portal
El Portal
California
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

And don't forget that downtown LA is a short and easy Gold Line ride from Pasadena. Del Mar station is 1/2 mile from Hilton; Memorial Park station is just a little farther, but closer to Old Pasadena.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Old Pasadena
Old Pasadena
622 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

My wife and I enjoy Crêpes de Paris on Fair Oaks just south of Green Street. The food is quite good, coffee excellent, and the view of Castle Green from the patio is very nice! Very European feel.

Mentioned in this post
Green Street Restaurant
Green Street Restaurant
419 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center

For cheap eats head to happy hour at the Dog Haus just down the street, good burgers, fries & dogs, including inexpensive "sliders". Check out the happy hour menu at the Yardhouse, too. Whole Foods Market is walking distance in the morning for muffins and coffee, or Oh My Pan Bakery has Asian-style sweet breads and toasts, ham& cheese buns etc along with all kinds of interesting tea drinks and coffee.

Reply to: Pasadena- Eating etc. near Convention Center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;