We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish students to Isla Vista

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Irish students to Isla Vista

For (local) Santa Barbara Trip watchers and Experts:

I just learned from my son and his girlfriend (she's editor of an IV magazine) that a lot of Irish young people come over for the summer to stay and play in IV, and this goes back years. Has much to do with the super-low sublet rates, and *atmosphere*. They're expecting it to ramp up a lot this year due to the major currency discrepancy.

Did you know this? I didn't when I went to UCSB. (But then the currency rates were the opposite of what they've been for the last 7-8 years.)

I can remember going on in Trip to the mother of an Irish girl about how everything would be OK when her daughter and friend come to IV this summer. What my son and his girlfriend told me (more than is here) gave me a new perspective. I bet her daughter was miles ahead of her...

I hope Trip allows this thread to stay as it's also a tip that the tourism people might capitalize on.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish students to Isla Vista

I work out at UCSB and it's true that there are lots of Irish "kids" out in Isla Vista during the Summer. I think they enjoy the IV lifestyle.

Santa Barbara...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish students to Isla Vista

I live in Santa Barbara and I've heard some crazy rumors about Irish people in Isla Vista. Can someone fill me in? Is this Ireland's Mecca or something? I'm not trying to be derogatory; I'm just intensely curious. It's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that a one-mile square student party district in Santa Barbara can be so well known to the Irish. If someone could respond that'd be great. I'd like to clear up some of this confusion.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish students to Isla Vista

The other place along the CA coast to find young Irish people, is Huntington Beach. They flock there in the summer, as well. Pubs, party atmosphere and beach is the draw.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish students to Isla Vista

If you are truly interested there was a several page in-depth article written on this issue last month is the Santa Barbara Daily Sound newspaper. I'm sure you could find the article on the paper's website or perhaps by Googling it.

Santa Barbara...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish students to Isla Vista

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish students to Isla Vista

Am told and have been reading that the new "Social Host Law" being debated has a lot to do with this phenomenon. (Police allowed to enter a premises if they think a party is too wild - underage drinking - and bust the host/lessee.) As the debate has progressed, landlords have been excluded from culpability and the fine amount has been changing. One thing I'm not clear on, and it's really just academic: Is the crime an infraction (like a moving violation) or a misdemeanor?

I just thought this news and more discussion might be useful as people probably are contemplating sublets for an Isla Vista summer, right now.

7. Re: Irish students to Isla Vista

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 15:31
Get answers to your questions about Santa Barbara