We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SB hotels-Decent value?

Dundalk,Ireland
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SB hotels-Decent value?

Hi!

I'm hoping to stay in Santa Barbara for 1 night 13th July.Hotels seem really expensive and not worth the price.Looking for a nice,decent place under $130.Checked out that Fess Parker Doubletree,got mixed review on TA.The Ramada Limited,10 mins outside SB seems more appealing,higher rating on TA and cheaper.Will have a car so dont mind driving in to SB.Would it better for me to stay near beach?Or is there other good value options around?Thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

Better to be at the beach in summer. Check out the Motel 6 just one block from the beach. It would be fine for your one night and you will save money.

motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.aspx…

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

Check out the Hotel Oceana on Cabrillo, it is right across the street from the ocean and Stearn's Wharf. Have fun! :)

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

Reviews can be tricky. People are expecting a lot more from the Fess Parker than they are from a little Ramada Inn...and that is reflected in reviews. Also, I don't pay much attention to reviews written by contributors who have written just one review two years ago, never to return to tripadvisor.

For just one night, look into....

Marina Beach Motel, The Eagle Inn, Mason Beach Inn, Villa Rosa , and a bit south in Montecito the Coast Village Inn. I would skip that Ramada up in Goleta as it will not give you a good feel for the Santa Barbara experience.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

For decent value, I would also look at the Ramada Inn Express and/or the Hotel Santa Barbara. Both are a mile or so from the beach, nut right on the 25 cent trolley that can wisk you down there in 4 minutes.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

Hi toby2111,

The previous posters have given you some excellent suggestions regarding affordable hotels in the Santa Barbara area. I don't think the Fess Parker is in the price range you require. It is a very elegant hotel though and I don't know how it could have negative reviews. All the rooms are large and newly redecorated, they have granite counters in the baths and the rooms are very nicely decorated. It is directly across the street from the beach and all the rooms in the front have magnificent views. It has a spa, a gym, a lovely pool and 3 beautiful blue tennis courts plus a tennis pro on- site that is probably one of the best in California. If you are a tennis player, this is the place to come. It is also a dog-friendly hotel...Fido can vacation with you:-) As the previous poster stated, the reviews are not always accurate. I know they are offering some specials though, so it may be closer to the price range you stated.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

We stayed at the Fess Parker this year and had a fantastic room, directly ocean front in the main building. It was large and comfortable, and had all amenities that a resort should have. I can't imagine finding a room there for under $130 that includes taxes, etc.

I Also stayed at the Villa Rosa, and their cheapest room is $179. I don't recommend hotels I haven't staye at, but I think the rates would be higher in summer at most places.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

We stayed at the Fess Parker this year and had a fantastic room, directly ocean front in the main building. It was large and comfortable, and had all amenities that a resort should have. I can't imagine finding a room there for under $130 that includes taxes, etc.

I Also stayed at the Villa Rosa, and their cheapest room is $179. I don't recommend hotels I haven't staye at, but I think the rates would be higher in summer at most places.

Dundalk,Ireland
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

Thanks guys!I'll look into all those recommendatios,cheers for all the help.One quick question...is there anywhere that I can park my car for free overnight or for as little expense as possible in Santa Barbara?Lots of places charge for parking.

Walnut Creek CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

The West Beach Inn is a Coast Hotel that gives a once a year discount for the number of years you've been married...worth calling for if it fits your situation.You can't book with the discount online, you need to call and ask for it. We stayed for a 25% discount last year. Fess Parkers is lovely but get a room in the front of the property because the railroad tracks run on the back.I have stayed there a few times and booked it on priceline. If you want to stay on Upper State Street the Peppertree is lower priced and on the busline. They don't charge for parking.

10. Re: SB hotels-Decent value?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 15:23