We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommended restaurants

Solvang California
Level Contributor
121 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
recommended restaurants

My cousins will be spending two days in SB Monday and Tuesday. What would you recommend for Breakfast and Dinner??? What is the name of the cafe at East Beach, the place right on the beach. Has anyone had their breakfast. I have seen the flapjacks they serve while I was rollerblading and they look delish. Is it a good place to have breakfast and do they serve breakfast all week or just on the weekends?? I only know places on state, is their any places the locals go for grub for people in the know for dinner and breakfast??

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: recommended restaurants

Unfortunately the Wine Cask closed a while ago. Ca'Dario's does get excellent reviews for their food, some friends of mine who moved here recently from Boston love it and say it reminds them of East coast restaurants. It is a very small restaurant, tables close together, the view is of the traffic on a busy street, but if good food and service are what you are looking for, this is a good choice.

Sambos is just a very fun and nostalgic restaurant. The menu has some pretty good choices. My favorite is the yogurt, granola, fruit bowl,which is as good as any in town. I would recommend it, just for the "fun" factor.

West Coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: recommended restaurants

Yeah, Itallian and Seafood are fairly well-covered in Boston!

For dinner with your cousins from Boston area, I'd definitely go Mexican, as this food genre goes pretty much unsurpassed in So. CA.

I can't think of their names now--but there are some terrific ones...perhaps others here will recall?

What's that really great one where folks line up--it's absolutely a hole in the wall, yet very authentic...even has a few flies here and there in the screened table area...

And then there is another--on upper State Street--near the independent movie theater...much more civilized and also fantastic...

Gee, we haven't been out to eat there for too long!

Have a great time!

West Coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: recommended restaurants

oops, sorry puupychi--I mixed up your post with the subsequent one (speed-reader here) and thought your cousins were actually from Boston!

And I see you already know the places on State...

Solvang is pretty darn close to SB, so I would think perhaps your local friends/newspapers/web-sites etc.-- and others here on this board--or on the LA board will likely help you much better than I can.

The Mexican place I mentioned is closer to the freeway and more of lunch place really--so that probably won't help you much.

Have fun with your cousins for those two days!

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: recommended restaurants

Hi Curious,

Great suggestion re: Mexican restaurant. The one on Milpas that you so accurately described is La Super Rica..622 N. Milpas, BUT there is a new one that is getting great reviews just a block away called los Agaves...600 N. Milpas. High quality Mexican food, with no trans-fats. My friend who is a Master Chief thought the salsa bar was one of the best and freshest in town. Haven't tried it yet, but it's at the top of my list.

West Coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: recommended restaurants

Yes--that's the one--La Super Rica! Wow--so it's still there?

Amazingly good, fresh, authentic--with daily specials. I'm from the east coast and when I first visited SoCA and tried places like Wahoos and then moved on to places like this, which are even more awesome-- I couldn't believe it! I didn't even know much about avocado until I visited SoCA!

We loved it so much so that we even overlooked the few flies, which would normally be a turn-off.

As I recall, that was not a huge deal--just a few here and there..of course you could get your goodies to go and take them to a nice park, but it somehow made sense to eat there, as we were typically en route and things got drippy with all the natural sauces and beans, etc...

As I recall, there tended to be a long line that formed around lunch-time, (even by 11:15am). So if that's still the case, recommend timing for a bit before or after...

Well worth it, in my view. Although maybe others even better have emerged since (?). It's been a good several years...

16. Re: recommended restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 13:40
Get answers to your questions about Santa Barbara