We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

Help! I am planning a trip to Santa Barbara for my husbands birthday Labor Day weekend. He used to live there and most all his friends still live there. I was looking for help with ideas on how we could celebrate his birthday. He will be 31. My first thought was jump on the school bus and go to some wineries or breweries. I didn't know if anyone had some other ideas on what we could do one day while there with all his friends? Thanks!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

What is your budget for lodging? We like staying at the Harbor View Hotel or the Fess Parker Doubletree. Both are across the street from the beach, but the HV is next to State St. which is close to more restaurants. Both offer bikes for rent along the beach.

You could walk or drive on to Stern's Wharf, which is at the end of State. Santa Barbara Shellfish Co is there and you can sit on Picnic tables having fresh seafood.

I would probably contact his best friend living there to have him suggest what would be fun for all of you. A bus to the wine country sounds good as you are planning.

I would get a start on reserving right now as SB is very popular Labor Day weekend.

Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

We love the harbor. Brophy bros is our favorite so that is on our list of things to do.

I'm thinking we may stay with some friends to cut down on costs and then stay one night somewhere nice. I know I need to plan now since it's a holiday. Thanks for the tips! :)

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

Two different but fun things to consider are; 1# going to Cold Springs Tavern on Sunday for their huge tri-tip BBQ and live music - this is really a huge scene with 75 +/- motorcyclists coming from all over plus tourists and folks from the city, although there are a lot of people the setting is rustic, plenty of beer and wine, and great BBQ. It's truly an experience. #2 consider renting the Land Shark [http://www.out2seesb.com/] for a tour of the city and then a boat ride into the harbor and around Stearn's Wharf. My wife did this for a b-day party a few years ago and had an absolute blast. Very different but fun!

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
862 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

Here is a list of SB places that you may not have thought to visit, I put this together a few years ago. sbadventureco.com/blog/… -- there is a map at the bottom so you can see where all the places are.

One idea would be a day cruise to Painted Cave from Santa Barbara Harbor. You can snorkel and kayak the sea caves -- it includes breakfast and lunch also. My husbands company offers this trip and here in the information sbadventureco.com/adventures/channel-islands…

Wine country is also fun to explore if you want a more relaxed pace. There are also lots of tasting rooms in Santa Barbara's downtown. Here is information on the Urban Wine Trail http://urbanwinetrailsb.com/

Have a great time! Make reservations for dinner - the town will be full. :)

Springfield...
Level Contributor
7 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

We just went out on the Santa Barbara Sailing Center's catamaran for a sunset cruise and there was a big group your husband's age celebrating a birthday - they had a great time!

Level Contributor
36,374 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

That sounds fun! What is your lodging budget for this area? ⛱😎⛱😎

7. Re: Husbands Birthday Idea Help :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2017, 14:18