We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Topic
Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have never been to Goleta and we got an airbnb place for 2 nights. I was wondering if there are any worthwhile places for us to visit/see. Originally we were planning on a trip in Santa Barbara but we couldn't find any places for us to lodge in Downtown SB (we are on a budget) so hence getting airbnb in Goleta. We want to also go to Downtown SB too while we are there but have no idea where we could go. So if there are any recommendations for places to check out in SB and/or Goleta would be nice.

We are both into breweries, more local pubs/live music venue. Maybe a romantic beach stroll? (that would be more of my thing than my bf haha) We aren't looking to be too wild since we have a wedding we have to go to end of the SB trip so something that we can do where locals go and hang out would be nice. Not sure exactly where to start with tourist activities so any suggestions are welcome.

Also, Do people end up staying in Goleta even if they want to explore Santa Barbara? If so, how do you go about planning trips out?

Thanks in advance!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
619 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

Sarah-

I recommend going to downtown SB, and going to the Funk Zone, it has everything you described.

https://funkzone.net

The Lark restaurant is excellent for dinner, best to have reservations.

you can rent a bike near the bottom of state Street ride along the beach and up State Street.

Romance drinks at Four Seasons Biltmore on the patio and stroll along the beach at sunset.

Downtown Montecito is worth a visit.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
619 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

here is a directory

https://funkzone.net/funk-zone-directory/

Figueroa Mountain Brewery is great

Corks n Crowns

wine tasting

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
863 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

Yes surfcali is right - you should go downtown and the funk zone would offer a few options for food, wine tasting, and beer tasting. It is a few minutes drive from Goleta, not far at all. You can get an Uber or taxi so you do not need to drive home and it will be reasonable.

Here are a few articles I wrote that might be helpful. This one has a list of things to see in town sbadventureco.com/blog/…

and this one has a map of the beaches sbadventureco.com/blog/…

Have a great trip! -Suz

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

Goleta is where the University of SB is located, north of SB. The only time we stayed in a motel there was to visit our son when he was attending college there. After one stay we moved to SB at the beach for the other visits, because there is nothing to do in Goleta, and we were driving too much.

Did you look at the original Motel 6 #1 just off Cabrillo St along the beach? It's behind the Hyatt Hotel and fairly priced for the great location.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

Goleta is just the northern suburb of Santa Barbara, mostly modern subdivisions, where lots of people live. Also where you find Costco, Home Depot, lots of office buildings, etc. Not really a tourist destination except for the UCSB campus and the beaches nearby, plus Sandpiper golf course.

It's just a 10-15 minute drive from Santa Barbara proper, so no big deal. Do your sightseeing in Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

The Funk Zone is a fun area to check out and has some great restaurants (Lucky Penny, The Lark, The Nook), 25+ tasting rooms and art galleries in the area. A beach walk on Butterfly Beach is really pretty and you could stop by Four Seasons Resort for a drink around sunset. Other ideas for sightseeing around town - electric bikes, SB Buggie (small vehicle rentals), electric trolley. Or, you could go on a food tour around town through Santa Barbara Tasting Tours, Taste Santa Barbara Food Tours, Eat This Shoot That, etc.

State Street in Santa Barbara houses many restaurants, bars/pubs, lounges, etc. For live music, catch a show at the Santa Barbara Bowl, SOhO, Lobero, Velvet Jones, etc. Enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Goleta/Santa Barbara trip for a late 20's couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2017, 12:16