We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

United States
Level Contributor
518 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

Looking for a breakfast spot that's easily walkable from Hotel Indigo, and open early on Sunday. I have whale watching tickets, and need to be at Condor Express Dock/Sea Landingat 9:30. Don't want to mess with getting the car out of valet for this.

Hotel Indigo doesn't have a restaurant onsite or a refrigerator for storing food. Correct me if I'm wrong, but believe that's the case.

I've found some options that Google Maps says are close for walking, but I'm not sure about what it's like to walk by the 101, plus we have to walk around the tracks in that area. If you map it, you'll see the square detour I'm talking about. It's like a big square.

I saw Dawn Patrol and Santa Barbara Roasting Company and Rebar, but I don't know if that will be a pleasant walk. I want a fairly good breakfast since we'll be out on a boat for a while, but then again, I might get sea sick.... Yeah, taking meds and wearing a seaband.

Maybe we should head to Stern's Wharf instead? That could be easier, but not sure who would be best for breakfast there.

I'm also looking for a place to buy food to take on the boat for lunch. The tour lasts until 2:30. I wanted to go to Metropulos Fine Foods Merchant, but sadly they are closed on Sunday! Will go there to get food on Monday before heading out to explore wineries.

Even if I go to Stern's Wharf for breakfast this day, I will want a breakfast spot on Monday morning. However, I won't as limited on time that day.

Thank you. I got Hotel Indigo on Priceline to save money, so didn't know what hotel it would be. Maybe wouldn't have picked that location myself, but the price suited me and it will be convenient for going whale watching. So, no I cannot cancel it just because.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,697 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

We went to a couple places for breakfast while staying at the HarborView Inn. On the corner at State St before the Wharf is Eladio's Restaurant. I had a really good Vanilla Brioche French Toast, others in our family had Omelets or bacon and eggs. There is indoor and patio dining.

The other place is the original Sambos down Cabrillo Ave. known for Pancakes, etc. there is always a line out in the mornings and they have a clipboard out to sign.

Level Contributor
36,328 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

Eladio's is very good! 😎

United States
Level Contributor
518 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

Eladio's sounds perfect, is open early, and is only a 3-minute walk from hotel!

Thanks.

Any thoughts on walking to the coffee places I mentioned above? Just wondering how big a pain that area is going to be to walk to from the hotel.

Also, does anyone know the official name of the trolley that runs up and down State Street? I'm trying to figure out how early and late it runs, but I only find websites for trolley tours. Maybe it's the same people, but I'm referring to the trolley that you can take for .50 cents up and down State Street. I'm looking for more info on the stops and times.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

sbmtd.gov/maps-and-schedules/waterfront-shut…

United States
Level Contributor
518 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

Thanks. How does this sound?

Saturday, August 13

Pick up rental car at Enterprise LAX at 11am (not sure about lunch spot, but want to save time)

Drive to Santa Barbara (about 2 hours)

Drive to Santa Barbara County Courthouse; Park in garage across the street free for 75 min. Great 360 views from tower and beautiful architecture and grounds.

Drive to Old Mission Santa Barbara (self-guided ticket sales end at 4:15) has parking onsite.

Explore State Street. Walk down (not up). Park in garage on State Street, and take trolley back up to parking.

Check into Hotel Indigo and park.

Walk to Stern’s Wharf for dinner at Santa Barbara Shellfish Company

Stop by West Beach on the way back to hotel (10-min walk back to hotel)

Sunday, August 14

Eat breakfast at Eladio’s. Pick up snacks for boat.

Whale watching with Condor Express, get there at 9:30; tour from 10 to 2:30

Walk to Brophy Brothers for late lunch on the harbor (10-min walk)

Go to nearby Leadbetter Beach and Shoreline Park (35-minute walk back to hotel from here, so find public transport back? )

Check out Urban Wine Trail/Funk Zone near hotel??

Eat Mexican food -- where?

Monday, August 15

Breakfast at ??

Get food for trip to wine area from Metropulos Fine Foods Merchant (7-min walk)

Check out of Hotel Indigo

See anything you missed in Santa Barbara

Going to Cambria from SB.

It may end up being 2 or 3 by the time I get to SB, so not sure we'll be able to see courthouse and mission that afternoon. Thought we'd go there first because it's closer to how we're coming in, and we may get there before the room is ready too. Also wondering if State Street is better explored earlier in the day. As you see, I have whale watching early the next day and then checking out the next day. We could skip the waterfront beach exploring and do state street instead. Maybe be tired of being outside after boat trip anyway?

How do the walks sound, esp the one to Leadbetter/Shoreline from Brophy's? We're going to stop at some beaches on the way up to Cambria and Lucia, so should we skip SB beaches?

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

Another option for breakfast is "On the Alley". They are located on the Santa Barbara Harbor so it's walk-able from Hotel Milo and their breakfast is delicious. They open at 6:30 a.m. on Sundays. As for Mexican food, some great spots are Los Agaves Restaurant, Los Arroyos, La Super-Rica Taqueria (casual restaurant, but world famous), and Mony's Mexican Food (casual dining, but delicious). Have a fun trip!

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
862 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

Another option for breakfast would be Sambo's - if not before your tour, then on Monday. It is also on the way to the Sealanding. For sandwiches to take to wine tour - you can pick up pre-mades at Cantwells on State Street would also work.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,697 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

All seems pretty good to me. We've had dozens of afternoon lunches on Stern's Wharf at SB Shellfish out on the picnic tables, but don't think I'd do it for dinner as it might be getting chilly.

Instead we go inside to the Harborside Restaurant next to it. They have a wall of windows facing the water to the north where you can watch the sunset and boats returning to the harbor in casual comfort, maybe have a relaxing drink and a great fish dinner.

There is lots of free parking at the Mission. If you are running late for a tour you can just take some photos of the exterior. It's in a beautiful setting.

Again, I'd suggest Sambo's for your other breakfast. You could drive there if you were short on time.

United States
Level Contributor
518 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

CANative, thanks! Does SB Shellfish not have views with their indoor seating, or is the whole thing outdoor seating?

SBSuz and Santa Barbara CA -- thanks for tips.

United States
Level Contributor
518 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early Sunday Morning Breakfast Walkable from Hotel Indigo

I'm seeing that The Lark and Lucky Penny are also nearby our hotel. Thoughts on them?

Is the Lucky Penny breakfast too limited? Don't want baked goods, but they seem to have a couple of hot items. Maybe The Lark would be a good dinner if I shifted the other plans.