We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the Whales? (Late Sep 2014)

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
212 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where are the Whales? (Late Sep 2014)

I have family visiting this week and want to take them on a whale watching trip. Trying to decide whether to take a tour out of Santa Cruz, Moss Landing or Monterey. Where have the best whale watching sites been in the past week?

I came across this report for the Monterey Bay Region, but it doesn't list more specific locations in the Bay.

www.montereybaywhalewatch.com/sighting.htm

Thx.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,499 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,738 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the Whales? (Late Sep 2014)

The captains usually talk to each other about where they see activities. I would probably pick Moss Landing or Monterey Bay. To me it seems you have travel further from SC to the Bay. Moss Landing is closer and usually gets good reviews. Plus you can take them to see the sea otters, harbor seals, and sea lions all right there in the harbor.

That link you have us forna specific company in Monterey.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,499 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the Whales? (Late Sep 2014)

The whales have been very plentiful in Monterey Bay in the past few months, feeding on a surplus of sardines. You can get a whale watching trip from the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf from Stagnaro Bros., a family from Italy which has been here for generations. They also do fishing charters.

Santa Cruz is on the Bay, at the north end, Moss Landing in the middle and Monterey at the Southern end.

http://santacruzwhalewatching.com/

Edited: 22 September 2014, 22:14
Mentioned in this post
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,499 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
3. Re: Where are the Whales? (Late Sep 2014)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 13:15