We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My dream is to go to this city for college

1 post
Save Topic
My dream is to go to this city for college

I want to go to UCSC and was just wondering if this city is as good looking as they say it is, coming from the people of trip advisor :3

I still have a couple years, but it's still good to know

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

Yes, it is, especially the spreadout campus with redwood trees at the top, and wide grassland down the hill to town. Great beaches, lots of wildlife, including seals, whales, deer, mountain lions and banana slugs in the forest. Downtown is charming, notwithstanding the homeless milling around. The weather is usually ideal. There is lots of sun, often fog, so it doesnt get very hot .

Is it possible to make a visit? Where are you from? Do your grades allow you admission?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,606 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

Santa Cruz is a cool place. Whether it is a good fit for you depends on your personality and interests, of course. Santa Cruz has a strong surfing culture, nice beaches, and eclectic downtown, lots of creative people. The coffeehouse culture is well established. There is growing craft brew scene with a mix of veteran and new brewers. Its a fairly liberal place politically. It's a fairly bike-friendly city with decent public transportation for a place of its size. There is a higher percentage of independent business and restaurants than in most places.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

Gizrik.....where do you live? Please go to your profile and put this information in. It helps us a lot to know where you are coming from.

I will say, of course, since I am the DE from Santa Cruz, that, yes, it is as good looking as we say it is. The campus is 2,000 acres on the top of a hill in the redwoods and meadows, with fantastic views over Monterey Bay.

That, of course should not be your only reason for coming to UCSC. It is known for its undergraduate education, but in the 50 years since it was founded (this is the year of its anniversary) it has added some important graduate fields, including being instrumental in the Genome project, and having some innovative computer/tech programs.

I will give you a couple of links to get you started. The first is about the city itself, the second is relevant to the campus, and I will add whatever seems relevant. Please contact me if you want more information.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33048-d11…

…rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/ucsc-1…

If you are planning a visit, let me know if I can help. There are student-led tours of the campus where you can ask questions, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,531 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Level Contributor
38,508 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

We just spent a week there! It's a very cool place with pretty scenery. Do you surf? :).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

if your parents are paying for your college education....i sure hope they see this...very telling in my opinion...glad you have a few years to research....noting AT ALL against santa cruz...just your priorities.

Edited: 09 February 2015, 09:18
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,358 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

TripAdvisor is a *travel* related website. If you are planning to *visit*, that's great.

But if your topic veers off into how much housing costs or what jobs are available or other non travel discussion, this thread may be closed.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

I didn't see anything in OP's message except a desire to visit. Did I miss something?

The links I gave did not pertain to housing or costs or curriculum, I don't think. It IS a beautiful place to visit with great views of Monterey Bay, even if it is a University campus.

Edited: 09 February 2015, 10:35
Mentioned in this post
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,531 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

It might be a good idea to visit UCSC if you have the chance. The campus is one people either seem to love or hate. It's always reminded me more of a summer camp than a traditional university campus.

9. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 12:14
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My dream is to go to this city for college

No comment.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz