We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Comfort Inn Location is best?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Which Comfort Inn Location is best?

Hi

We are looking to stay one Saturday night in Visalia, on the way to Sequoia/Kings Canyon in August. As we are traveling as a family of 5, only a few of the hotels I found have rooms that fit us all.

Two are Comfort Inn's (One on Airport Drive and One Downtown on Acequoia. Also a Fairfiled Inn on South Akers St.

Not being familiar with the area, any recommendations for the best family location? Will be coming up from San Diego, so looking to have dinner & maybe play in the pool. Any sites in town we should look to visit?

Or are there other "Suite" type hotels nearby that maybe weren't in the list I should look into?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Arline

5 replies to this topic
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
1. Re: Which Comfort Inn Location is best?

You mention a suite type situation but another possibility might be a room with 2 beds and a rollaway. I don't know what would work for your family. But let me give you a little more info about the hotel choices and their amenities/locations, maybe that will help also.

The downtown Comfort Inn does not have a pool, just a whirlpool spa. But it is in the middle of many dining, activities and shopping choices. Downtown Visalia has many restaurant choices as well as entertainment including a movie theater, a couple of performing arts theaters, a live children's theater, a children's museum and more. Downtown Visalia is also home to many events such as festivals, farmers market, etc.

http://downtownvisalia.com/

The Comfort Inn on Airport Drive has a pool but the only nearby restaurant is located next door in the Holiday Inn. You would need to drive about 4 or 5 miles for any other dining choices. This hotel seems to me to be geared more as a place to just sleep or for business travel to the nearby business/industrial park.

The adjacent Holiday Inn has 2 pools (1 indoor, 1 outdoor) and a restaurant. It is also a little closer than the Comfort Inn Airport to a large park with play areas located just across the street. I believe the Holiday Inn has a few suites.

The Fairfield Inn has an indoor pool. It is in a nice location with a couple of restaurants (Applebees, Dennys, etc) walking distance. There are also many restaurants a short drive away. Across freeway 198 from the Fairfield there is a miniature golf/arcade type fun park.

Also across freeway 198 close to the mini golf park there are a Hampton Inn and a La Quinta Inn. Both have pools (the La Quinta's is indoor). I don't know the situation about suites though.

There is also a full-service Marriott in downtown Visalia with an outdoor pool. But I do not know if they have suites or not.

There are several new all-suite hotels proposed for Visalia but none have started construction yet.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Which Comfort Inn Location is best?

Thanks for the great information :)

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Which Comfort Inn Location is best?

There are really no "sites" to "look to visit" in Visalia - it's a working agricultural town, not a tourist destination. No chance you can drive straight in to the park and stay there? If not, pick a comfortable hotel, get a good dinner and early night, and head on to the park first thing in the morning.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
4. Re: Which Comfort Inn Location is best?

Depending upon someone's personal preferences there are some interesting things in Visalia just like in many other places. While not a world-class destination it is a nice town for an overnight stop.

For example, Visalia was a finalist in 2011 for Rand McNally's Best of the Road competition under the category of Best Town for Food. There is a nice variety of good local restaurants, especially in the downtown area, for those road-tripping in the area.

randmcnally.com/images/press-release/2011_06…

visitvisalia.org/assets/…202013.pdf

James Earle Fraser's original End of the Trail statue was rescued by Visalia from a discard pile after San Francisco's 1915 Pan-Pacific Expo. The original Plaster of Paris statue stood in Visalia until 1968 when it was sent to the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma. But the original was replaced in Visalia by a full-size bronze casting located in Mooney's Grove Park. The original now in Oklahoma and Visalia's full-sized casting are the only places to see the scale and details of Fraser's statue. (I've been to both locations and enjoyed sitting pondering his work)

There is also a collection of over 50 murals in the downtown Visalia area. Like many towns known for their murals just walking around and seeing the artwork can be enjoyable.

I'm sure a local could also suggest other things to do for an overnight stay in Visalia. I've always found it a nice small city to visit.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Which Comfort Inn Location is best?

Visalia has a very nice downtown area and that's where I'd stay. From the Comfort Inn Downtown you can easily walk to dinner, a movie, or live entertainment. Restaurant choices include Italian, Japanese, Mexican, brewpub, steak, traditional American, fine dining, Mediteranian, Chinese, gourmet pizza, etc and all within a few steps.

Th Comfort Inn on Airport Drive is not close to any restaurants except those located next door at the Holiday Inn. The Fairfield Inn, as previously mentioned, is located near a Denny's & Applebee's restaurant which you cold walk to. However I would still recommend the Comfort Inn downtown as you could stroll Main St and stretch your legs before bedtime.

Reply to: Which Comfort Inn Location is best?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Visalia