We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Irwin in an RV

USA
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
6 reviews
Lake Irwin in an RV

We want to camp in Lake Irwin campground and will be driving a motorhome. Is the drive to the campground entirely paved and easily accessible? I read a post awhile ago (maybe Smushie's???) that said something about a slippery bridge by Lake Irwin, which has me wondering if it will be okay. Also, is getting to the dispersed camping just past Lake Irwin also on a paved road. Thanks so much!!!

10 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

Hi etravel_10, hopefully Smushie will see this and reply. My knowledge of Lake Irwin is from one visit only in our 21 foot travel trailer. First I really enjoyed camping there. 2nd from what I remember the bigger rigs were at the spots closet to the entrance. My impression is that some of the dispersed spots just past the entrance to the campground might be easier to get to. The road is not paved but it was fine. Lots of RV's on it. The bridge did not cause me any concern.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
197 reviews
2. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

The road is not paved, even before the turnoff to Irwin. It’s dirt and has not been graded recently so it is rutted and rough. There are campers up in Irwin, but if a paved road is part of a rental requirement, then Irwin won’t work.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,561 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

Will you be in your own RV or a rented one? Check the policies about unpaved roads if it is a rental unit. Kebler Pass Road is unpaved but county maintained. You leave that road for Forest Road 826. Forest Service roads can be pretty bumpy and rutted. We'd take our camper there; not so sure about a rental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Acbsu5SA8g

cbstanduppaddle.com/news/2017/3/7/lake-irwin

USA
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

Thanks for your fast replies. They are helpful. We own the RV; no rental agreement.

USA
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

Question about Smushie's "has not been graded recently so it is rutted and rough." We won't be visiting until the first week in Aug. Is this a road they grade annually, so it would be less rutted and rough by Aug?

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
146 reviews
6. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

The slippery part that may have been referred to is right before the campground where it crosses a bridge. There are times when there is a little water there, less likely in August.

You will need to drive slow in but it is not scary IMO. Just have your loose stuff stowed. Study the campground map once you cross the bridge to see where you are going so that you minimize any chance of a bad turn. Standard RV stuff.

USA
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

Alli, Smushie, MisspWestSlope, Sporisorbust: Thank you for the good input, my Trip Advisor friends!!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

Thought I would report back in case it helps someone else. The road getting there is rutted and rough in spots. Dispersed camping just past LI is even rougher. Getting to LI is doable, but we personally prefer something not as rough in an RV. Without an RV, it would be totally fine and/or fine for people who don't mind taking their RV/trailers on such roads; we just prefer not to. Alli has a good comment about the sites closer to the entrance being easier to get to. The bridge was fine and did not cause us concern.

Parker, Colorado
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

What was the water level like at lake Irwin? Thinking of going up to fish.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Lake Irwin in an RV

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Seemed good to me though I don't fish.

Reply to: Lake Irwin in an RV
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte
Recent Conversations