We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping availability

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
338 posts
5 reviews
Camping availability

Hi, we are arriving in Crested Butte the afternoon of Friday June 22 and have never been to this part of Colorado before. I've had a look online and found some good info about what campsites there are but I have a few questions that I am hoping those with local experience can help me with. FYI - we are more dispersed or forest service style campers, we don't need RV facilities.

Do the first come first served campsites usually fill up on a Friday and if so, by what time? If they are likely to fill up, any particular campgrounds that are less likely or will fill later in the day?

Best area for dispersed camping if we do that rather than staying in developed campgrounds? I do see that the Gothic area is closed to dispersed camping at that time of the year.

Any particular favorite camping areas? We will mountain biking and hiking.

Thanks in anticipation

5 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
1. Re: Camping availability

Yes forest service campground that year will fill in Friday most likely very early in the day.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
142 reviews
2. Re: Camping availability

Try Oh Be Joyful but a Friday night will be tight everywhere near town

There are also dispersed spaces on the road to Lake Irwin

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
338 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Camping availability

Thanks for the advice.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
197 reviews
4. Re: Camping availability

Word of caution, there will be fewer locations for dispersed camping this summer in the upper valley than in the past. This is a first step in addressing the damage caused by dispersed camping: illegal waste disposal, dumping, litter, illegal roads and damage to high alpine marsh and wetland areas.

Hopefully reducing availability and increasing signage and enforcement will help these issues before much stricter policies are enacted.

crestedbuttenews.com/2017/…

https:/…

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
338 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Camping availability

Thanks smushie for the extra info - strangely, there is nothing that I could find about this on the travelcrestedbutte website or the forest service website. They have obviously had some overuse problems to lead to these new rules.

Reply to: Camping availability
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte
Recent Conversations