We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly winter activities

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
Dog friendly winter activities

My husband and I are bringing our two dogs on our ski trip the week of Christmas. In my searches I have found that most restaurants with a patio are dog friendly, but I am wondering if this will still be the case in the winter (are the patios even open when it's snowing?). Are dogs generally allowed in shops that aren't serving food?

We have booked a dog-friendly accommodation and will have a car so we don't have to worry about bringing them on the Mountain Express.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,561 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: Dog friendly winter activities

We travel with our dogs a lot, but I have found that most "dog friendly" lodging doesn't mean the dogs can be left alone for extended periods. Before you count on leaving them alone while you ski, double check the pet policy.

Perhaps someone else with more info about winter shopping and dining with dogs in CB will reply about that.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
197 reviews
2. Re: Dog friendly winter activities

For dog friendly winter activities, I would recommend snowshoeing or cross country skiing. Both are crowd pleasers with dogs and the CB Nordic Center can help with both.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Dog friendly winter activities

Thanks to both of you, good tips!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,561 posts
178 reviews
4. Re: Dog friendly winter activities

What kind of dogs do you have? Are they cold and snow lovers or (like ours) fair weather short haired thin coated dogs? If needed, look in to boots for paw protection and practice wearing them ahead of time. They may also need coats/sweaters. Be aware that dogs can also be affected by altitude.

Reply to: Dog friendly winter activities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte
Recent Conversations