We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Denver in June 2018

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Denver in June 2018

Hi,

My partner and I (in our 60's) will be coming to Denver (from the UK) for a wedding in early June next year, so thought we would make a trip of it and would welcome any advice/suggestions.

First, how long is good for a stay - 7/10/14 days? We don't want to hire a car so would appreciate suggestions for getting to Downtown from the airport (and back again). Happy to use trains or buses.

I've mentioned Downtown but where exactly would that be?

We thought it would be ideal if we could stay right in the centre of things so we can walk to restaurants, shops etc. Considering Airbnb but need to know which area to look at. Alternatively, any hotel recommendations.

We would like to see some of the wonderful countryside and wondered whether this would be a day or overnight trip and whether it is something we should arrange in advance or are lots of trips advertised over there? What are the must see places?

I'm sorry this is such a wide ranging question but we have never visited this part of the US and really want to make the most of our opportunity. Any info and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
9 replies to this topic
Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
273 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

There is a fairly new train that can take you from the airport to downtown Denver. https:/…

The downtown area is called Lodo (lower downtown) and also search for 16th Street Mall, which will give you the general area of restaurants and shopping downtown. It's easy to walk around and there's a free bus that goes up and down 16th Street. https://www.google.com/maps/place/LoDo,+Denver,+CO+80202/@39.7531332,-105.0087434,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x876c78c309781fbb:0xfa51804416e57e70!8m2!3d39.7526509!4d-105.001685?hl=en

Most people come to Colorado to see the Rocky Mountains. I would probably only spend 1 or 2 days exploring Denver and the rest of the time in the mountains if it were me. I completely understand why you wouldn't want to rent a car - I was the same way when I went to Ireland - but unfortunately it will make it difficult to get around outside the city. You might be able to find some guided bus tours that will take you up to the mountains for the day or possibly some weeklong tours that hit several spots around the state if that will fit in with your schedule/budget.

Two areas I would recommend that are both about 1.5 hours from Denver (in opposite directions) are Colorado Springs or Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. They are different enough that you could do both and not be bored. They are close enough to Denver to do each as a day trip but to do them justice, you would probably want to spent 2-3 days in each. Colorado Springs has Pikes Peak (there's a train that goes to the top - 14,000 feet above sea level) and Garden of the Gods. Rocky Mountain National Park is a beautiful area of the mountains with lots of hiking trails (ranging from easy to difficult) and scenic driving roads. There will still be snow here at the higher elevations in early June.

There are also LOTS of other beautiful areas of the mountains to see that would require more time and overnight stays.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
LoDo
LoDo
214 Reviews
Denver, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Rocky Mountains
Rocky Mountains
347 Reviews
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,515 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,665 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,949 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

If you were just seeing the city, I would spend three or four days. But a visit to Colorado is not complete without a tour through the mountains. I would spend 7-10 total days and rent a car to visit the mountains:

Denver downtown - 2-3 days

Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park - 2-3 days

Breckenridge (another mountain destination) - 2-3 days

Colorado Springs (Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods - 1-2 days; you can drive to Denver airport from here as your last stop.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,665 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
3. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2017, 22:35

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

Thank you so much for all this really helpful information. I'd been wondering what advertisers were referring to when I saw "Lodo"! This has given us a great starting point to plan our trip and I'm very grateful.

Mentioned in this post
LoDo
LoDo
214 Reviews
Denver, CO
Basingstoke
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

Many thanks for this really useful information. It'll be a great help for us planning our trip.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

If you really don't want to rent a car, here's an idea to see the mountains. From Denver take Amtrak to either Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction. Stay a couple days and take the return trip. It is an extremely scenic journey.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

The US Mint is here, lot of places for live music in downtown Denver, the Rockies will be playing in June and its a nice baseball stadium. Agree with others -- the mountains are what Denver is really known for and Estes Park is beautiful -- but quite a ride if you dont have a car. There is a new bus service called Bustang -- you could get a pretty cheap ride from Denver to Idaho Springs, which is a super cute old mining town, and Vail.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

Contrary to what many people think ~ Denver is not in the mountains, but rather on the edge of the plains prior to the mountains. You can get into mountainous areas in as little as 1.5 hour drive or 7 hours to the mountains in the SW part of the state.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Basingstoke
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Denver in June 2018

Many thanks for your suggestions, which are much appreciated.

Reply to: Trip to Denver in June 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted