We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wednesday March 21 suggestions

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Wednesday March 21 suggestions

I will be in Denver Wed and have the afternoon to kill. I would love to get into the mountains a bit (hike if I could, but I know there was a bunch of snow Monday). Any suggestions? I have from about noon until 6:00 when I need to be back downtown. I do have a car and land at DIA at 11.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
1 reply
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wednesday March 21 suggestions

This is a little off your inquiry, but here goes. Very near to DIA is the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. Like the airport, it's NOT the mountains. More like the high plains - think Kansas. The big draw is that you have a real opportunity to see buffalo, bald eagles (our last visit a few months ago, there were close to a dozen, all fishing across a lake and easily seen from the viewing area on one shoreline), pronghorn (a type of antelope), and deer. Lots of walking/hiking trails. When you are done it's an easy drive to downtown for dinner. https:/…

Spend an hour or two there, then head to Eldorado Canyon State Park. It's on the opposite side of the metro Denver area from the airport. We don't consider it the "mountains" exactly, but it sure looks like the mountains. Lots of hiking trails and technical and other rock climbing/mountaineering.

…state.co.us/placestogo/parks/EldoradoCanyon

Have fun whatever you decide!

Mentioned in this post
Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge
Rocky Mountain Arsenal...
243 Reviews
Commerce City, CO
Eldorado Canyon State Park
Eldorado Canyon State...
131 Reviews
Eldorado Springs, CO
Denver