We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

national parks and canyons with archer direct

wirral
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
national parks and canyons with archer direct

hi thinking of booking this trip for 3 people to do one in a wheelchair has anybody been there don it etc how was it and could a elderly wheelchair person manage with hotel and jorney lenths i.e toilet stops etc as coach loo are going to be down steps or at the back of a bus.any help would be great.....flights to denver then pick up coach leave las vegas

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

The National Parks in the USA are mostly accessible for wheelchairs. here is the Park Service link www.nps.gov/pub_aff/access/opportunities.htm

As far as on the bus, contact Archer directly. I'm sure this is not the first person they have had that used a wheelchair. And due to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, I imagine that the bus would be wheelchair accessible, but check with the company first.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,167 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

When you go to their website and go to FAQs there is supposed to be info for people with impaired mobility but for some reason every time I tried to get there it came up with an error message. Here is the link - archersdirect.co.uk/holiday-faqs/holiday-hea… - maybe it will work for you.

I would wonder about how much assistance you will get from this company with your wheelchair. There will be a driver and a tour guide for a bus full of people. Your wheelchair will probably have to be stored with the luggage since the aisles have to be kept clear and tour buses in the US don't have dedicated places on the buses for wheelchairs to lock in. So you really should check into this in great detail before you sign up for this or give any money to them.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

Hi

The time we are going to Denver I see that this is on Colorado State Fair Denver. The place we are staying is Comfort Inn Downtown is this close to the state fair ? Thanks for any answers.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,203 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

Graham B, you might get more & better responses if you posted this as a separate post. The Colorado State Fair is in Pueblo, not Denver. This year it will be August 24 - Sept 3. Here's the State Fair website:

http://www.coloradostatefair.com/

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,203 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

So did your family decide not to do the bus tour?

Since you are the "cowboy mad" brother, the State Fair would be a great option for part of your trip, but the Comfort Inn in Denver would be about two hours drive, maybe more depending on traffic. A little far for a day trip, especially if you wanted to attend any of the evening events. I'd book something in Pueblo.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

I have been to Arches, glad you changed your mind, not very wheelchair friendly and my almost 80 year old mother really did not like the walking there either. If you just wanted to drive through the park then yes it would be good, but very hot I am sure in the middle of summer. I went last fall and it was still to hot!

Maybe you are thinking about the Denver County Fair which will be in it's 2nd year coming up this Aug 12-14th. http://www.denvercountyfair.org/

Yes, this is not far from the Comfort Inn as it takes place in the National Western Stock show grounds that are on the edge of downtown. A short cab ride away (we have handicapped accessible). I was a volunteer there last year and appreciated that the events were indoors, they have animal shows also.

Pueblo is a two hour drive one way, it will be hot there at the time of year if you do not mind dry heat. Lots to see and do on the way down in Colorado Springs and not far away in the Canon City area.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Canon City
Canon City
Colorado
Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

No we have booked with Arches. Just was searching on things that might be going on, when we are there. Thanks for the information.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

We are doing the Archers National Parks & Canyons tour at the beginning of September and I am confused as to what clothes I will need as some parts of this tour say the weather in Sept. is hot whilst other parts say we could have snow. So is it T Shirts and sandals or Woolies and boots?

Anyone else done this tour in Sept.?

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

Mostly I think its going to be HOT, the only place I think that might be cold is yelllowstone. Just take a little for the cold weather. All so remember to take something in case its rains. I have got a Mickey mouse poncho got from Disneyland last year and taking this, don't laugh at it :) We re going on the 28 Augs so looks like its the same one we see you them.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 01:31
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,203 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: national parks and canyons with archer direct

iknowdenver, I think you are talking about Arches National Park and the OP is taking a bus tour through a company called Archers Direct.

Silversands, I think your trip will mostly see warm to hot weather with some cool mornings and evenings. There is always a chance of snow at some of the higher elevations and one time we were in Yellowstone in mid-August and got quite a bit of snow. At that time of year, though, it doesn't last very long and warms up during the day. Usually! That said, you may want to throw in a pair of wool socks (I always travel with mine as they feel good on chilly mornings and keep the mosquitos off my ankles in the evening) and a fleece jacket or windbreaker. You can always buy a souvenir sweatshirt if you need another layer.