We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July

Eustis
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July

If we are planning a trip to Durango in one week, would it be better to stay downtown or Tamarron/Glacier Club area in terms of air quality? Is the smoke from fire bad just depending on winds, or is it much worse in rural area vs. downtown? Will we have to limit all outdoor activities? Any other tips? My daughter is recovering from a severe cold, and I'm worried about her.

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
5 replies to this topic
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July

Check out link below for Durango fire. I'd make other plans for sure.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33397…

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July

The air quality is HORRIBLE in Durango from about 10 pm to at least noon. The entire area is blanketed by a suffocating smoke. I imagine Tamarron is too. You can check air quality in San Juan Basin Public Health website, click on 416 fire update and then click on real time air quality updates. It is not a good time to visit if you have any kind of health issue. The tourist industry is pushing for visitors, but in all honesty, we are in the midst of a natural disaster and I would not encourage anyone to come here right now.

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
266 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July

I drove to Silverton today. Smoke was bad in Durango this am. As I passed Tamaron/Glacier Club smoke was still noticeable. The air quality did not significantly improve until almost Purgatory Resort. Once past there things improved dramatically. Silverton was smoke free and gorgeous. Lots of folks in town. The fire is slowing down and is progressing slowly North North east in the Hermosa Creek drainage. Because Hermosa Creek is a tributary of the Animas River, which flows through Durango, when the fire settles down for the nnight the smoke essentially goes downstream through and below Durango. As things stand today I would have no problem staying in Ouray, Silverton, and or Montrose. There is still a lot one can do in the mountains once you get close to Silverton along the Million Dollar Highway. Just be aware of all the fire restrictions in place. You can go to the La Plata County, San Juan County(Silverton) and San Juan National Forest websites for details. Plus there is signage everywhere. Essentially restrictions include no campfires, no charcoal grills/fires, no smoking outside, don’t park you car on grassy areas, etc. But, again, go to the websites I mentioned to get exact restrictions. If you visit Ouray go the Ouray County website and the Grand Mesa, Uncompagrhe, Gunnison National Forest website for up to date info. When I drove back to Durango around 300pm air quality was compromised from the Purgatory are to south of Tamarron/Glacier Club. Hope this info helps.

Mentioned in this post
Silverton
Silverton
Colorado
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Purgatory Resort
Purgatory Resort
624 Reviews
Durango, CO
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
Animas River
Animas River
285 Reviews
Durango, CO
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Million Dollar Highway
Million Dollar Highway
515 Reviews
Silverton, CO
San Juan National Forest
San Juan National Forest
498 Reviews
Durango, CO
Grand Mesa
Grand Mesa
629 Reviews
Grand Junction, CO
Purgatory Lodge at Purgatory Resort
Purgatory Lodge at...
121 Reviews
Durango, CO
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July

Joe...your updates and information really aid folks planning a trip to your area. Good to see a local providing invaluable details that could make or break their trip. Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
168 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July

Ditto to Eric. Thank you, Joe! Helpful info as we decide whether to drive million dollar highway today or not.

Reply to: Air Quality 416 Fire, Durango Trip, July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Durango