We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
158 posts
15 reviews
Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe

Hi,

We’re flying into ABQ the end of August and planning to spend the first night in Sante Fe. The next day, we’re driving up to Durango and I wondered which route is recommended. We will be in the Durango area (fires permitting) for two nights to enjoy the Brew Train, then have two additional unplanned nights before flying back out of ABQ. Any/all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

5 replies to this topic
Bastrop, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe

I'm not an expert in the area, but we did the drive via Pagosa Springs and it was very scenic.

Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe

Both routes are pretty close time-wise/distance. As mentioned Pagosa would be a nice route, then on the return to ABQ go 550. There is a wonderful Mexican restaurant (El Bruno) in Cuba. There are long stretches of road with nothing but landscape so keep your gas tank full! It’s cool to see the signs along the way showing the different territories of Native American nations (hope I phrased that correctly).

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
158 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe

Thanks so much for those suggestions!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
35,023 posts
508 reviews
4. Re: Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe

While in Durango go to Mancos for the bakery items at breakfast. They are great. Then head over to Mesa Verde NP for the day.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
158 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe

Thanks!

Reply to: Scenic Route between Durango and Albuquerque & Sante Fe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Durango
Recent Conversations