We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
397 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

Just received this in email:

After nearly three decades of operating the Historic Hotel Colorado, ownership has decided to sell the property. The Hotel Colorado is scheduled to be sold on January 31, 2017, and the property will close its doors for a comprehensive renovation, on the same date. It is anticipated that the property will be closed for an extended period of time.

I wonder if that will create a shortage of rooms.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

Wonderful that there's a buyer interested in renovating this historic hotel. However, with over 20 other hotels nearby, I'm doubtful this will have any effect on room demand.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

I have not seen anything more recent than this November 10 article, but it would appear that Glenwood Hot Springs did finalize the contract to buy Hotel Colorado.

postindependent.com/news/…

Edited: 01 December 2016, 05:54
Colorado
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

really won't be a done deal until it closes, lots could make that not happen. Having said that, once the new bridge is open the real estate in front of the HC will get a lot more attractive and quieter. A combination of remodel and the highway moving will likely make this a premier property.

denver
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

Just stayed there last week. Apparently the sale fell through. This has resulted in some less-than-attractive amenities to the hotel. First and foremost, the staff is still awesome. Quite gracious and helpful. However, the rooms are filthy. Thankfully the bedding and bathroom appliances were clean, but that's about where it stops. We were actually afraid to walk on the carpets without shoes. The cushions on the benches in the restaurant were truly scary, and I didn't even put my purse on them. We sat in the straight chairs. The elevator was out, but that just made for some additional exercise!...! We met some very interesting people there, all connected with the sale of the Doc Holliday Derringer gun. THAT made the whole thing worth while. The hotel is steeped in such great history, I am truly hopeful that either a sale takes place or the current ownership takes a bit more pride in the place.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

Hopefully you will also post this as a review.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

That sale did indeed fall through. Based on this article, the cost estimates to remodel the hotel were just too great for Glenwood Hot Springs to go through with the project.

postindependent.com/news/…

7. Re: Hotel Colorado to be sold, remodeled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2018, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Glenwood Springs