We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay?

California
Level Contributor
137 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay?

We are driving from Denver to Glenwood Springs. Would welcome a suggestion on where to stay. We were thinking of spending 2 nights here before heading to Avon/Vale area. Would you suggest we spend both nights here or maybe one night and one night elsewhere?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay?

Just to understand your logistics, you're driving past Avon/Vail to Glenwood then driving back. Two nights in Glenwood is fine. Take a leisurely drive from Denver with stops to see the scenery, like taking Loveland Pass on US6 rather than the tunnel on I-70. In Glenwood look at Hotel Colorado adjacent to the hot springs, or Hotel Denver across the highway. For more modern hotel, look at the Courtyard by Marriott on the west side of town. Hot springs are a great experience. Daytrip to Aspen. Half-day rafting on the Colorado or rent mountain bikes to ride the trail along the river. The Pullman is a great spot for dinner.

it's just 45 minutes or less back to Avon/Vail.

Have fun.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay?

two nights here would be nice so you don't have to jump around, it's a nice place to stay.

Glenwood Springs can be pricey but a good find is the Cedar Lodge Motel:

http://www.cedarlodgemotel.net/home.html the grounds are mature and very well kept, the rooms are clean there's an indoor/outdoor pool and other amenities, you may find it worth checking out. Here's one of my reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33446-d4877…

the reviews in general: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33446-d487742-…

Edited: 12 April 2013, 20:42
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,612 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay?

I too am a bit confused. Is Glenwood Springs an add on to the Vail area trip? I like Glenwood for a night perhaps 2 for me that would be more than enough. It is easily done as a day trip from Vail/Avon as well.

Second the Hotel Colorado.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,676 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay?

When is your trip? What did you plan to do in Glenwood Springs?

I like the Hotel Colorado, too, but not all their rooms are air conditioned. We stayed a night in August and it was pretty stuffy and warm in our room until after midnight, so if a summer trip, ask about an air conditioned room. You might consider staying somewhere in Redstone, just a few miles south, more in the mountains and very picturesque.

You could drive to Glenwood via Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon, then drive through Aspen and over Independence Pass and through Leadville back to the Vail/Avon area to make a loop and see some different scenery. You could stay both nights in one place (Glenwood or Redstone) or one night in Aspen or Snowmass.

Edited: 12 April 2013, 22:53
California
Level Contributor
137 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay?

We are coming out at the end of Sept. for a wedding in Vail. We are arriving 2 days prior to wedding. Someone suggested Glenwood Springs so we decided to make this our first stop. Our trip is 8 days, not counting 9th day which will be night prior spent in DEN. to fly out next day.

...2 night Glenwood Springs- wanting to do hanging lake hike and maybe see caverns. Also thought we could drive to see Aspen and some suggested surrounding areas.

...2 nights Vail- Wedding

...4 night? (RMNP, Estes Park)

...1 night- DEN

Do You suggest I book rooms in advance for this time of year?

And is weather couldn't to be a factor that would not work this time of year? i.e. hanging lake

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,676 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay?

;) Weather can be a factor any time in Colorado's mountains, but typically, weather in September and early October is beautiful.

Be sure to drive up McClure Pass to the south of Redstone, where with any luck you'll be at the right time to catch the gorgeous fall colors.

With your schedule, I'm still liking the route I suggested in post #4. Do you know what time your flight will arrive? Are you planning to drive to Glenwood from the airport? Or will you spend your first night in Denver?

California
Level Contributor
137 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay?

We are flying into DEN on an early flight from Calif. Get into DEN shortly after 9 am. We planned to drive straight to Glenwood Springs. Would kind of like to stay in a hotel for 2 nights versus having to move the bags back and forth. That's why we were leaning towards Glenwood Springs. Never having driven in the Colorado Mountains am unsure as to how long driving will take from place to place. Also everyone has warned us to try avoid driving after dark.

Will pull out a map and find Redstone and figure out route suggested in #4. Majority seem to think colors would be great this time of year, so the drive to Redstone may be worth it. I would rather see the nature versus spend time in the mineral pools.

Thanks for the advice.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay?

Here's another vote for Hotel Colorado. A wonderful old historic hotel. A great experience to stay in part of Colorado history!

California
Level Contributor
137 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay?

Finally figured out where Redstone was and don't think we want to drive that far. Have read many reviews about Aspen (specifically- Maroon Bells). Am keeping my fingers crossed that the falls colors will be wonderful. Would I still be able to spend 2 nights in Glenwood Springs and drive to see this area or would it be better to spend one night in Glenwood Springs and one in Aspen?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,164 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay?

Missp is suggesting in reply #4 that you take this scenic route to travel from Glenwood Springs to Vail for the wedding. Covering parts of the Top of the Rockies Scenic Byway and going over Independence Pass, it is wonderful with or without fall foliage.

http://mapq.st/117OwcL

Get answers to your questions about Glenwood Springs