We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

We'll be in the area around September 2nd and I just realized this would be Labor Day in the US. I guess that means the trail is likely to be very busy? I read so much about parking issues, I wonder if we should even attempt to get there on Labor day? Maybe we should try and get there before 9AM? Traveling with kids, so I'm not sure we can make it a whole lot earlier.

Thoughts? Should we skip Hanging Lake and just drive on?

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

It is never really busy in Glenwood Springs. I've been there over 40 times during every single month of the year, including Labor Day, and it is never really busy. There are probably only parking issues at the lot because it's such a tiny lot. Hanging Lake is really cool, but just driving through the Glenwood Canyon itself is really awesome - so it probably depends on the ages of your kids.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,916 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

According to local news reports on TV and in newspapers, the traffic jams for the Hanging Lake hike have become a real problem between Memorial Day and Labor Day. This article was just posted May 15.

krextv.com/news/around-the-region/Officials-…

This one on May 16.

realaspen.com/community-content/1352/State-f…

If you can get a parking place and assuming your kids are old enough for this hike, I would do it. If the parking lot is full, you will not have wasted much time as the trailhead is right off the interstate. If traveling west on I-70, you do have to exit and then get back on I-70 and travel east to the Hanging Lake exit.

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

I really want to do this hike. The kids are 9 and 11, but they have some experience with hiking, so I hope we'll be ok.

Thank you for the info - I think we'll just hang around Zion and Bryce for a bit longer and spend a couple of days on the road, probably around Grand Junction. We'll get to Glenwood Springs and the trailhead on Tuesday, after Labor Day - I think that should be ok? Should we make an effort to make it extra early, or do you think we'll be ok if we arrive by 9 or 10 AM on a regular week day, after Labor Day?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,916 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

I looked back at some of your previous trips. I noted you have been to Arches in Utah. Have you ever been to southwest Colorado? In particular, have you driven the Million Dollar Highway section of the San Juan Skyway? If not, you really should consider a route through that part of Colorado from Zion to Glenwood Springs. Some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the United States is along the San Juan Skyway. Zion is still VERY hot that time of year. The higher elevations of Colorado will be quite pleasant. Have you been to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado? It is a United Nations World Heritage Site. www.nps.gov/meve

This possible route (see mapquest link below) covers parts of several scenic byways in Colorado. You could easily make a short side trip to Black Canyon National Park near Montrose, CO. www.nps.gov/blca

www.coloradodot.info/travel/scenic-byways

http://mapq.st/10C9ceS

The day after Labor Day, you should be fine getting to the Hanging Lake trailhead by 9 am. Your kids will not have a problem with the trail.

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

These are all beautiful places and yes, we have indeed covered them in our previous trip (2011). Back then we came from the Grand Canyon into Mesa Verde and then stayed in Durango for a couple of days, after which we drove up 550. We then spent a couple of days in Montrose and took a very indirect route (since we had the time) to Colorado Springs, going through Aspen (visited the ice caves), Independence Pass and Cannon Hill (spent a day at the Royal Gorge park). Colorado is amazing! It's why we made a point of coming back and spending more time in this beautiful state. The one place I really wanted to see and didn't was Maroon Bells, so this is a main destination this time, along with two days to be spent on the west/south side of Rocky Mt NP (we spent a couple of wonderful days there hiking the Estes Park side in 2011).

Sharing a link to the colorado section of our trip blog -

gosite.co.il/westcoast/…

The posts are in Hebrew, I'm afraid, but if you use Google Translate on the page it'll help you navigate around and each post has lots and lots of pictures of beautiful Colorado!

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

Forgot to add -

Yes, I know Zion will be very hot, which is why we plan on hiking the Narrows and nothing else, pretty much. This will have been our second visit to Zion and we've already hiked there quite a bit (including Angel's Landing for my husband). I do want to get to Bryce again too, because on our previous visit it had snowed (in early October!) and I chickened out and didn't go with the kids down the Queens Garden trail. I want to do that now :) I feel so immensely fortunate and privileged to be able to return to these places.

7. Re: Hanging Lake trail on Labor Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Glenwood Springs