We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clear Creek Rafting Companies

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Clear Creek Rafting Companies

Hi,

I'm interested in doing an intermediate rafting tour on Clear Creek in mid July (me and my wife). We've done a couple tours before, though not for awhile. I've been researching here on TA and on company websites. Trying to figure out which company to go with. It seems like pretty much all the companies run tours on the same stretch of water (makes sense)...so no differentiation there. Many of the companies are rated 5 stars, with a few negative reviews here and there (negative reviews seem related to either river conditions or guides...neither of which I'd have control over).

So thought I'd put a question out onto this forum. Kind of leaning toward Liquid Descent at the moment. Not much info on Adventures In Whitewater on TA but 5 stars on Yelp!. Of course Clear Creek Rafting and Downstream Adventures are also highly rated!

Any insights into any of these companies? Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clear Creek Rafting Companies

Not sure clear creek will be raftable in mid july with the water levels this year. I would call companies and ask them before I planned on it. Water is well peaked and coming down already. Normally this is the peak now or next week.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clear Creek Rafting Companies

Wow! I sure appreciate your rapid response. I did send an email to one of the companies asking about water levels and a couple other things, will be interested to see what they have to say.

Follow up...I know it's a different experience (mellow vs. rapids), but would the Colorado River float trips be similarly impacted? I would think even if levels are lower on the Colorado it would be about the same type of trip.

We are staying in Granby (timeshare, made that mistake years ago), so Kremmling is closer anyway.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,740 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clear Creek Rafting Companies

Almost all of the rivers in Colorado are going to be very low for rafting this year. First of all, the snowpack over most of the state was way below normal. Add to that the fact that temperatures have been way above normal and the already low snowpack is melting much too quickly. As 618keith said, Clear Creek will most likely be very low for rafting by mid-July. Low water levels do not necessarily equate to a float trip. Low water levels on rivers like Clear Creek can mean rafts running into or getting stuck on boulders or even dragging the bottom in shallow areas. You can check river flows and find out more information about Colorado's rivers here.

https:/…

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clear Creek Rafting Companies

The upper Colorado below Kremlin is a float trip not whitewater.

The Colorado in Glenwood canyon is whitewater. It is a much bigger river so it will be affected but can handle lower water. Clear creek is much smaller so you will be hitting bottom sooner.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clear Creek Rafting Companies

fv1989 thanks for the info and that link - invaluable. Didn't know you had way below normal snow this past winter...have noticed Denver has been hot (the local TV station I watch here spends like 15 minutes on weather so discusses lots of other areas than Chicago).

618keith, thanks for confirming my thoughts about lower water. I knew upper Colorado was float trip vs whitewater.

I will check that website as I get closer to my trip and contact the companies as well.

Thanks for your help!

6. Re: Clear Creek Rafting Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2018, 05:35

Reply to: Clear Creek Rafting Companies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Idaho Springs