We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 50

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
1 helpful vote
Highway 50
Save

I would like a current update on HWY 50 construction and road closures. I can’t seem to find a current report in Google and my husband thought he read somewhere that it was supposed to be opened up by the end of July. We’re wanting to drive from Creede to Ouray the first weekend of August and trying to decide on an alternate route if necessary.

4 replies to this topic
Doylestown...
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
224 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Highway 50
Save

You can always get live info ...even webcams...from colorado dept of trans at

cotrip.org

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,811 posts
151 reviews
159 helpful votes
2. Re: Highway 50
Save

Your route could be from Creede to Lake City to Hwy 50 then west, or to Durango and north through Silverton on Hwy 550, which is considered by many to be the more scenic but also the more white knuckle route if the driver has any trepidations about mountain driving.

Highway 50 is open on the weekends, so no problem there if you are coming through on a Friday evening through Sunday. This project will be going on for quite some time.

All the information is posted on this thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k13479085-Route_planning_Hwy_50_west_of_Gunnison_construction_project-Colorado.html

There was supposed to be some construction on power line right of way on Hwy 550 south of Ouray, but that has been postponed. I wonder if your husband might have seen something about that. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k13613221-Route_550_from_Montrose_and_Ouray_Open_closed_Aug_3rd-Colorado.html

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Highway 50
Save

Great news about weekends! We’re driving to Ouray on Saturday via HWY 50 and coming back to Creede on Sunday by way of Durango!

And thanks for the website.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,811 posts
151 reviews
159 helpful votes
4. Re: Highway 50
Save

Since you are going through on a Sunday, you should be okay, but in case other visitors are searching for the information, Highway 550 is also going to have some closures. Post #4 on this previous discussion gives the current information: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33581-i1452-k13611799-More_road_closures_to_affect_SW_CO_travel-Ouray_Colorado.html

Reply to: Highway 50
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ouray
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.