We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude adjustment concerns.....

3 posts
Save Topic
Altitude adjustment concerns.....

Hello,

Flatlander here...traveling to Colorado for the first time for a wedding in telluride.

I have zero experience with high altitude and do not know how I am going to fair regarding altitude sickness, we are staying one night in montrose which I hope will help with acclimization a bit. But I have a random question and just looking for some general feedback.

I heard somewhere that taking a bath is not safe in high altitude? I don't know if that is in reference to extreme altitude or not... but it concerns me because I am a big bath addict... can't sleep without one and so is my daughter, is this something I need to be concerned about?

I am a bit of a worry wort and have been spending way to much time googling altitude sickness.

Thank you for any info you can give me

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
10 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

That is one of the strangest things I have ever heard. Where did you read/hear that? People come to the mountains and soak in hot tubs and hot springs, and I assume many people take baths as well.

Excellent information here, please read: https:/…

www.altitudemedicine.org/altitude-illness/

altitudemedicine.org/myths-about-altitude/

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

I know it is a weird question... I fell down the Google rabbit hole and found it on some website regarding how to avoid altitude sickness in which it stated to avoid baths, alcohol and smoking.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

Thanks for the links 😉

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

I take lots of baths. And, so far, I am none the worse for it. It did make me laugh, however, so thanks for that.

The truth is that there is no way to accurately predict how you will react to high altitude until you get there. Common sense prevails and there is no absolute list of DOs and DONTs - everyone is different. Chances are very good that you will not feel it at all (until you walk up your first long flight of stairs) and then you will just be out of breath a wee bit.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,726 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

I go back and forth to Telluride regularly from sea level. I almost always have a pretty bad headache the first day I am in town (even if I spend time at an intermediate altitude) and easily get short of breath with exertion. (everything from walking up stairs to hiking) Most people notice being short of breath due to the thinner air. I do avoid alcohol the first day or two.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

But the question is... do you take baths ;)

jenni, you are welcome, and I'm glad you came here to ask.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 22:59
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

As someone who comes from about 1200 ft elevation, I would recommend getting well hydrated BEFORE you go to the mountains. I used to have a hard time even walking around in the thin air so I googled to see what would help and found info about drinking water a couple weeks before you go. It seemed like safe enough advice and being a big water drinker already, I stepped it up a notch and made sure I drank 2-3qts a day. Last year when we went to RMNP, I was able to climb the stairs on that trail by the Alpine Visitor Center. That was something I could not have done at all the two previous trips so I was pretty excited about that. I would also recommend staying well hydrated while there too. I still got a small headache and just a slight bit of a funky feeling after the hike, but water helped, as did continuing down the road to a lower elevation. After that, the rest of the trip was a breeze.

My other tip would be to spend a night or two somewhere lower to aclimate. We stayed a night in the Black Hills and a night in Cheyenne before RMNP and those are around 4000 and 6000.

I have also found in traveling to CO many times, that the elevations in the 7000-9000 range are not nearly as hard to deal with as 12000 at RMNP, especially with a night somewhere before you go higher. Chances are good that you will still notice it in walking around, you may get a headache, and you probably won't be able to run anywhere, but if you take it easy for a day or two until you see how you feel, you should be fine.

Too funny about the avoiding baths. Not sure what the reason would be for that. That makes me curious if swimming was also not recommended. I guess I have not done either one at altitude so I have no advice there at all.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 23:36
Mentioned in this post
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,726 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

Well...I hate baths, so can't comment on that. I call it stewing in your own filth. Showers are the way to go.😱😁

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

Lol endo - that's how I feel about public hot tubs! Eeeew!

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Altitude adjustment concerns.....

I think it says baths because hot water can lower your blood pressure and you might feel faint at a higher altitude. Just be aware of that and you should be fine.

Reply to: Altitude adjustment concerns.....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted