We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Vandalism (first week in March 2019) - Why?

england
Level Contributor
2 posts
107 reviews
42 helpful votes
Car Vandalism (first week in March 2019) - Why?
Save

i have just returned from a week's stay at Millport utterly dissapointed as my car had been vandalised. I last used the car on Sunday (we arrived Friday) and parked it in Crawford Street (on the advice of the holiday flat owner as it was not in anyone's way?) On the Tuesday,after walking our dog, I noticed a small black retractable lead had been put underneath the bonnet and was visibly dangling down to the road either side. The bonnet was completely shut and the lead could not have been threaded through. I went to the door to release the bonnet catch only to find the car unlocked! I always am meticulous locking the car (from the area we live in) so could not understand why the central locking was 'open'. I released the bonnet and lifted it up to find the lead very neatly threaded behind the bonnet catch AND the engine daubed all over in bright yellow paint strokes! Every piece of lead / connectors / tubing / battery etc marked in bright yellow paint. I stood in shock and then checked the car interior for paint / damage / missing items - but all was intact and clean. I then noticed the drivers door hinges marked in this yellow paint; then the passenger door and then the boot interior in each corner. Even if I had somehow left the car unlocked - in Millport of all places, an island - why would somebody go into someone else's car, unlock the bonnet, thread a dog lead underneath (the lead was not mine) and then mark the engine in yellow paint? The holiday flat owner was unperturbed and disinterested in my distress; as was the local police officer (off-duty) who had one day to go before 'retiring'. Note - the car was parked some 500 yards from the police station, around the corner. I asked a few locals who appeared during the day if they had seen anyone acting suspicious? All stated they had not, including the local joiner where the car had been parked just a few feet away from his

premises (?). One woman stated vandalism had been done a few weeks ago to the outside of a car as some Millport residences believed the owner to be a 'sex-offender'. She then followed this up by saying to me "ooh and you look a bit like him as well, if you don't mind me saying?" What does this tell you about Millport? It's Royston Vasey as real life. I still cannot believe what has been done to my car (which is a new car and did not even have a 1000 miles on the clock). It was the last place I expected vandalism and made worse by the meticulous way in which it was carried out. Avoid Cumbrae / Millport (and Miller Street / Crawford Street area in particular). Unless you are local? Would not recommend as a place to stay.

4 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
1. Re: Car Vandalism (first week in March 2019) - Why?
Save

Not travel related. Move on.

Level Contributor
1,767 posts
2. Re: Car Vandalism (first week in March 2019) - Why?
Save

"Avoid Cumbrae / Millport (and Miller Street / Crawford Street area in particular"

Thanks for the advice but happy to ignore it.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
81 reviews
142 helpful votes
3. Re: Car Vandalism (first week in March 2019) - Why?
Save

Move on??

If it happened to me I would be outraged. This isn’t someone having a whinge about a £60 parking charge rightly or wrongly imposed, it’s vandalism to the tune of possibly 000s of £s and has been met by complete local indifference. OK, it is only marginally travel related but where else would you raise the issue? I would certainly be writing to the local paper, posting on the Millport Facebook page, if there is one, and escalating the complaint to a higher ranking police officer.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
25 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: Car Vandalism (first week in March 2019) - Why?
Save

Well said Beauchamp.

Could be travel related if you intend going there .

Reply to: Car Vandalism (first week in March 2019) - Why?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Millport
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.