We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

Rockville, Maryland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

My family is considering the Peninsula Indian River Bay resort for a summer rental. Very few, and no recent, reviews on Trip Advisor. Anyone out there have any feedback? We are a bunch of original midwesterners now living in MD. Although the Beach might be a nice day trip once or twice, we are also looking for freshwater options - the pools and wave pool sound nice? Much appreciation for any feedback!

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
913 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

Go to the search panel at the top of this page. type in peninsula indian river and you will find several postings, some from last year.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

A resort? I would call it a gated community not a resort. Indian River is pretty isolated. If you enjoy fishing/boating then I guess you would enjoy yourself. You will be driving to everything.

My husband and I were just talking the other day how these large communities are advertising themselves as "beach" resorts or Beach living. When in fact some of them are as much as 45 minutes away from the nearest body of water.

There is one just down the road from us in Bridgeville Delaware. Huge sign....BEACH LIVING at an affordable Price. HMMMM.....where's the BEACH?????

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

I am not saying the Peninsula in not a nice location BUT it surely is not a resort. The developer went into bankruptcy and not everything that was promised.. has been built.

I live within sight of the Peninsula and walk along the Indian River daily with my dogs. I would not encourage swimming in it..

If you are planning on cooking the are 2 great supermarkets right out on Rt 24. Not a whole lot of local dining. However there is an excellent Italian Restaurant on Long Neck Road across the street from County Bank.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

I spent a lot of time in the midwest as a youth and I understand why you are looking for freshwater options - the lakes of the upper midwest are amazing. But, sadly, you are not in Kansas anymore Dorthy -- the point it that there are no decent freshwater places in DelMarVa -- but there is the ocean and, if you like, many waterparks to get your freshwater fix. The Peninsula-Indian River Bay is a mediocre choice all around -- way too far from the Beach, Stay in Bayside if you must be off the beach -- at least it's only 3 miles to the Ocean. The best water parks are Rehoboth (Jungle Jim's) and Ocean City/Fenwick (Jolly Rodger and Thunder Lagoon). My choice for family or group is Fenwick Island (as far south -- toward Ocean CIty -- as possible). For urban professionals - Rehoboth is best.

Mentioned in this post
Jungle Jim's
Jungle Jim's
227 Reviews
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Fenwick Inn
Fenwick Inn
1,043 Reviews
Ocean City, MD
Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

Just spent a week in a 3BR/3BA condo at the Peninsula in the Windswept area of the neighborhood. Some parts of the neighborhood are not unfinished or dotted with empty lots. The Windswept condos are walking distance from the athletic/pool facility. There are nature trails and a fishing pier. The "bay beach" area wasn't very nice (small, isolated, not welcoming) and located in one of the least completed areas. Did not use the spa but there is one on the premises I read. They have tennis & golf facilities. Didn't use those either. The workout room was great. They also offer some classes like yoga, zumba, etc. in their exercise room. There seemed to be some sporadic children's activity programming. There is a game room of sorts for the kids to play air hockey, foozball, pingpong but it was a disorganized room. The children loved the wave pool and the indoor pool. There are two hot tubs, one in the indoor pool area and one in the adult pool area. The adult pool area seemed quiet and pleasant - no one under 16 was permitted in that area. The only guarded pool is the wave pool They have a restaurant with a limited menu. The food was decent but pricey and inconsistent as was service. Nice option after a long day at the pool and one of the few options, other than pizza and fast food, if you don't want to drive the 20+ minutes on Rt 24 to Rt 1 for dinner. If cooking in (Harris Teeter is a 2-minute drive away) and the pools/gym/golf/tennis would satisfy your family vacation needs, this is the place. If you want to be near the beach or do limited driving during your vacation, this is NOT the spot. It is more of a gated neighborhood with nice amenities in the suburbs than a beach resort.

6. Re: Peninsula-Indian River Bay - recent experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 03:18