We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
156 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

Hi,

You all were so helpful last summer. Could you suggest some restaurants good for a group of 7 that is ok with small kids and has some vegetarian options? Also some restaurants that would be good for a date night? It would be great if we could walk there from Shoal Harbor.

We are also going to be there over the 4th of July. I assume there is a fireworks show? Where is a good spot to sit and watch if we have small kids? Also, how early would we need to go? The kids get antsy after awhile.

Finally, do you know of anywhere that would do a week's worth of swim lessons or kids activities (like a few hours a day) without having to pay a membership fee? Otherwise we will just hit the playground. TIA!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

Fireworks are on Sunday July 3. I have walked up town from my house to hear the Funsters at the Bandstand beforehand and then go out onto the beach around 9pm. It is packed and I usually go down along the surf where I don't feel so jammed in. I walk home along the beach. I feel like there could be a stampede on the beach toward the boardwalk. I like having the openess toward the ocean.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

HI,

For Vegan or Vegetarian, you might want to check out Hobos in Rehoboth. For a date night, I might consider Touch of Italy in Rehoboth or Confucius Chinese. I also like Big Fish Grill, but it can be crowded so might not have the best environment for a date.

Fireworks are going to be on the 3rd. It is usually packed. So, plan on being crowded and if you drive into town, know that you will be sitting in a lot of traffic leaving.

I don't really know where you might go for swim lessons without a membership. The YMCA has a pool & you can sign up for a guest pass on their website. Perhaps this will get you at least one day of pool use. Also the AmericInn in Rehoboth used to sell daily pool passes to outside guests, but it was mostly during the OFF season. I know they only do their Splash Pool Parties during the off season too. You would have to call to inquire. Other than that, Jungle Jim and Whitewater Mountain (at Midway speedway park) have waterparks/pool, but that requires a ticket purchase.

For other kids activities:

You can go to Shell we Bounce in Rehoboth. It is an inflatables play place.

There is also Dawn's Country Market just north of Lewes that has a kids petting zoo (FREE).

Go to the beach in Lewes behind the DQ. Here you can play in the water without the worry of waves.

Painting with a Twist in Lewes has Kidz Camps for a few hours each day for ages 7-12. There is a fee.

You can stop in the Rehoboth or Lewes libraries for Story Time . In Rehoboth they have tot time for under 3yrs or kindercare for ages 4-6. Events in Rehoboth may require registration so call ahead. Lewes has storytime on Wednesdays from 1030-1130am for infants and toddlers. On Tuesdays there is Story time at Grove Park 1-2pm.

Also Browseabout Books in Rehoboth has story time usually a couple of times a week. That is free & usually includes an activity/craft. Sometimes you meet the storybook characters like Pete the cat. Just check their website, events calendar outside the shop or give them a call.

Chick-Fil-A has an indoor play place great for toddlers, plus the food is pretty good. Sometimes they have activities on their events calendar too. They used to have a story time here, but not sure if they still do it. Sometimes they have Daddy-daughter date nights too.

Hope this helps some.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

I wonder if you could get a spot in Grove Park out from under the trees and see the fireworks. If you could, you could easily walk from your place, the kids have the park and you wouldn't have to get out in the traffic. I bet you can see them, it's a matter of how close you want to be and how much you want to be in or out of the madhouse of crowds.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

I would get as far away on the beach as it would still be possible to see them. I would not begin to take young kids into that crowd. Great fireworks but way too much traffic and hassle for me.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
638 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

I'm glad to hear you are coming back to our town! Unfortunately, you have gotten some bad advice above with regard to the fireworks. Let me try to clarify, but first my favorite topic:

RESTAURANTS: Easiest for your group is going to be Grottos, Nicolas, etc. You could also try Dogfish, Chesapeake & Main. Cultured Pearl actually has some great outdoor tables good for groups (make a reservation) and a kids buffet (ask about it when you make the res). For a date night, my favorites are Back Porch, Eden or Bramble and Brine.

You can walk everywhere from Shoal Harbor... you are just over the bridge from town... easy. You are also right across the street from Crystal Diner which is open for breakfast and lunch.

FIREWORKS: People will start reserving space on the beach starting at 7 am. The fireworks don't start until 9:15 usually, so there is really no need to do that. Here's what I always recommend: go to a late dinner so that you get out around 8:30. Pick a meeting place for after the fireworks (the drinking fountain on the boardwalk by the pavillion is a good spot) and then split into smaller groups to watch the fireworks. Walk on the boardwalk until they start and then just stand, sit or lay down where you are when they start. They usually set up on the beach in front of Funland.

The biggest ones only go approx 300-400 feet in the air, and there are a lot of shorter ones, so they are unimpressive unless you are fairly close. You will barely be able to see them from Grove Park.

After the 20 minute show, everyone meets at the pre-designated meeting spot. There is usually a good band playing at the band stand pavillion to encourage people to stay in town rather than jump in their cars and create traffic jams. It's usually the Funsters which are an upbeat kid-friendly party band where everyone is encouraged to come up on stage with them and dance. After a few songs, you can start your one mile stroll back to Shoal Harbor. Don't bring a lot of stuff like chairs or anything.

SWIMMING: Check with the Y to see what they have going on the week you are here. You are a half block from the Y at Shoal Harbor!

Please post a trip report after you get home and let us know how it went!

Edited: 21 June 2016, 22:35
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
156 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

Thank you all so much! Will def post a trip report. Any good breakfast suggestions? We tried Royal Treat and the coffee shops last year so other suggestions welcome.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

Crystal Restaurant on Rehoboth Ave. on the outskirts is a good breakfast spot.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

Here's a pretty good article about breakfast at the beach

beachpaper.com/article/…109771

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
638 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

Robin Hood is my favorite breakfast place in town. I also love Crystal Diner. If you want to go to Lewes for a day, you could start with breakfast at Honey's Farm Fresh. They have the best Benedict. Get the latke!!!

10. Re: restaurants, 4th, and swimming lessons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2017, 12:16