We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First family vacation

Wilkes-Barre...
9 posts
1 review
First family vacation

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are taking our 15 month old daughter to Rehoboth for a few days as our first family vacation. (I'm also pretty pregnant again) We are booked at the Admiral on Baltimore. I was wondering if anybody can give any tips or ideas to help make our trip run smoothly. I really don't want to keep loading the baby into the car over and over again to go places everyday. Once or twice during the week is fine, but I would really prefer to just walk with a stroller to close by places. Any particular restaurants that are good to go to with a stroller? How is Funland with a one-year old? Any beach tips or tricks? Anything in the area worth seeing with baby in tow? Any help would be appreciated. I haven't been to Rehoboth in about 15-20 years!

Reading...
Level Contributor
137 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: First family vacation

The outlets are always a nice way to spend a week day, especially if its rainy. We try not to drive around too much from Friday to Sunday because of the heavy traffic.

There are lots of shops and restaurants that are walkable in town. Can't comment on the stroller friendly places.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
2. Re: First family vacation

I have a different opinion about the Outlets in the rain. I think they should be avoided when it rains because there are too many people and way too much traffic on RT 1. If you haven't been here in 15-20 years you will be shocked by the increase in people, traffic and development.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
285 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: First family vacation

Go to Funland in the early afternoon. It keeps you out of the sun during the hotter time of day, and the crowds are much more manageable with a stroller than they are later in the evening.

Chesapeake City...
Level Contributor
366 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: First family vacation

I've heard a lot of people suggest bringing a blow up baby pool for the beach and then filling it with ocean water. That way you don't have to be down with the waves with the little one. Have fun!

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: First family vacation

The Fun Land rides like the little boats are great for small kids As mentioned go during the day when it is not crowded.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
369 posts
6. Re: First family vacation

Hi, Alyssab333.

Rehoboth is a great place for a first family vacation. And there's a lot to do that won't require you to load up your car over and over. Below are links to more info about kid-friendly things to do at the beaches and Rehoboth Beach itself.

www.visitdelaware.com/beaches/kid-friendly/

visitdelaware.com/beaches/…

Happy travels!

The Visit Delaware Team

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
1,476 reviews
7. Re: First family vacation

Hi,

Funland is great for little kids. If yours can support herself, then she can ride the kiddie rides you feel safe with. The little boats are a good starting option, but they have several great kiddie rides like the cars and fire trucks too. You can ride in the hot air balloon ride & helicopters with her. Also you can ride the carousel with her either at a horse or in one of the bench seats. There are some games that are play until you win or prize every time type deals. When our kid were that age they liked the caterpillar game.

I would recommend Lewes Beach behind the DQ if you are looking for a beach spot. There are little to no waves here, so you can sit at the edge of the water with your daughter. She can play in the water without getting knocked down by the waves OR you having to worry about undertow. Lifeguards on duty, marking is a central meter. You can watch the ferry cruise in and out of port from this beach too, which the little kids love.

I think most restaurants will be ok with a stroller. Many of them are family friendly. Our kids like Grotto Pizza. Another place our kids enjoyed was Grandpa Mac's, but there really is NO inside dining space OR room for a stroller, so it would have to be take out. Our kids also love the Fractured Prune Doughnut Shop and Thrasher's French Fries. They like the cotton candy from Thrasher's Beach Treats stand too, the chocolate covered frozen banana from Starkey's and buttered popcorn from Fisher's.

There are several tot lots or parks in downtown Rehoboth that you can walk to. There is one by lake Gerar by the Henlopen Hotel. There is one by Silver Lake on Stockley Street and one at Grove Park next to the canal bridge. There is a farmer's market in Grove Park on Tuesday's 12-4pm with local products and foods.

Dawn's country market just north of Lewes is a place that you might consider stopping at on your way into town. They have a small free petting zoo on location that our kids loved. You can buy feed out of machines to feed the animals.

Hope this helps some.

8. Re: First family vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2017, 12:16