We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

We are leaving Saturday morning from Pittsburgh to Rehoboth. We've heard about huge delays at the bridge at the beach. What time are these delays generally?? Should we leave the night before and get a hotel somewhere closer? Our GPS time is only 6hrs and we really don't want to add hours onto our travel time just for this bridge.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
2-Hour Tandem Kayak Rental in...
1 Review
from US$40.00*
Free Cancellation
Guided Paddleboard Excursion on...
2 Reviews
from US$35.00*
Free Cancellation
Sunset Paddleboard Excursion on...
1 Review
from US$50.00*
Free Cancellation
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

The problem is the Chespeake Bay Bridge on Rt 50 past Annapolis. What is the earliest you think you can get there? This is certainly peak beach vacation time. The alternate would be to go north of Baltimore but then you get hung up on the Delaware RT 1 traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

We're willing to leave whenever we have to. We could leave at 5am. Would that be safe?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

I'm just guessing. I live on the Delaware side of the Bridge and rarely go across it. I think 9am would be the latest I would want to get there. 7 or 8 am would be ideal. Maybe post the question in the Maryland Forum, What's the latest you should try to cross the Bay Bridge this Sat and not get stuck in traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
285 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

7 am to the bridge would be ideal, as that also gets you to RB before the Rt 1 traffic starts to build up. But before 8 is probably still ok.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

When I would travel from near Kennywood to Rehoboth, I would take the traditional interstate across to the bridge at Annapolis.... Usually would take 7-9 hours - or more- depending upon how bad traffic was. Then my daughter went to the University of Delaware and discovered by taking the turnpike to Harrisburg, dropping down 283(?) to Lancaster, then 30 to 41 to 796 to Newark Delaware.... To 95 to US 1... I could do it in 6 hrs. Sounds really complicated, but other than snaking through the UDel campus, it is remarkably easy.

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Newark
Newark
Delaware
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

As an addendum to the previous directions, the route thru Newark is 896, and you can pick it up just east of Lancaster (a few miles after the 30E bypass ends). You can also follow it to Rt. 1 (95 can be "unpleasant").

896 is a direct, scenic route with less traffic than 41, but you may get behind some Amish buggys.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

Thanks for the clarification...I had forgotten about 896...but, I would follow 41 from Gap to 796, then head south to where 796 merged into 896. I did the whole 896 route once time.,...lovely and scenic, but wandered around a bit. On the 796 section it always seemed like I was the only one on the road.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

fcs, we used to take 41 to 7 to 1, a route that avoids back roads, but grew weary of the heavy truck traffic and aggressive drivers on 41. There is no "crowd pleasing" way to get from Lancaster to northern DE, but once there, travelers from the West will find a four lane route all the way to the beach resorts. All but the last forty miles to Rehoboth are 65mph limited access, dropping to 55 thereafter. Compare that to the post bridge peninsula crossing routes.

But as always, WHEN you go is just as much a factor as HOW. Rt. 1 gets congested on summer weekends, so plan to arrive early or late.

P.S.: 896 hasn't passed through the UDel campus in recent memory.

Edited: 30 July 2016, 19:26
Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
676 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

You're probably here by now, but for future travelers, I would recommend leaving by 4 am if you are coming from Pittsburgh to RB on a Saturday in July or August. The traffic (no matter which route you take) gets horrendous by noon. You want to be here by then if at all possible. If you can go Friday night part of the way, then Saturday would be easier. If it were me, I would drive to Annapolis area Friday night (maybe stay somewhere off 97?) and then finish the drive in the morning. You might even get here by 10 am which is even better!

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
10. Re: Bridge traffic incoming Saturday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2017, 12:16