We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

NJ
Level Contributor
113 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

Hello all,

We will be taking the ferry from Cape My on August 28th for a short stay in Rehoboth.

After reading these forums one of the things we definitely want to do is the Eating Rehoboth tour. The tour starts at 1:00.

We need to get to Rehoboth in time to park our car and get to the starting location.

From what I searched it is about a 30 minute drive from Lewes to Rehoboth but I realize it can be longer in the summer.

My question is what ferry do you think we should take so we make it to the tour in time. If we take the 8:30 ferry we should get into Lewes around 10, if we take the 10 ferry we'd get into Lewes around 11:30.

Do you think that taking the 10:00 ferry would be cutting it too close? I'd love to take the later ferry but will go earlier so we make it in time. I have not idea what to expect with traffic getting from Lewes ferry to downtown Rehoboth on a Sunday morning.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you,

KathyH

Mentioned in this post
Lewes
Lewes
Delaware
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
913 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

You might be able to make it but any little hiccup on the boat or getting off or on Rt 1 would be trouble. I think I'd bite the bullet and take the earlier boat. Spend some time walking around Lewes if you want. Very nice little town.

Mentioned in this post
Lewes
Lewes
Delaware
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

I agree with Frank/Pat

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

Take the early ferry. Sunday morning traffic heading into Rehoboth will not be too bad. Are you going to try to find a parking space in town?

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
1,431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

Take the early ferry. When the ferry lets out, there is a long line of traffic. Traffic into rehoboth last weekend was pretty heavy. If you arrive early & have time to spare, you can settle in and look around town a little before the tour starts. Otherwise you may feel rushed.

NJ
Level Contributor
113 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

Thanks everyone. You all are telling me what I kind of already thought. We'll be staying in Manahawkin at my daughter-in-laws that Saturday. We'll be having to get up and out of the house early Sunday morning to catch the ferry. I really want to do the Eating Rehoboth tour. Reviews are great and I've done other eating tours in other cities and always find them fun and interesting and a great way to get an overview of a new city. We've never been to Rehoboth before and looking forward to it.

Mentioned in this post
Eating Rehoboth
Eating Rehoboth
209 Reviews
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

Parking will be a challenge, allow enough time to find a spot.

NJ
Level Contributor
113 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

We are staying at The Breakers. I realize check in time won't be until 3 or 4 but I'm going to call them to see if they will let us park when we get there.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

The Hotel will no doubt be full Saturday night. There may be no available spaces in the morning.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
681 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

There is usually street parking near the Breakers. Bring quarters and allow extra time to stroll to the meeting place for your tour. Sounds fun.

NJ
Level Contributor
113 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Lewes to Rehoboth question

We've done these kind of food tours in other places and I always enjoy them. They are a good way to get an overview of the area. Plus I love, love, love food and going to new restaurants is one of my favorite parts of vacations. So this way we'll get to try a few places and see others as we wander by.

We talked it over last night and decided we are going to do the food tour and bite the bullet and take the early ferry. Not that 8:30 is really early but we have to leave my daughter-in-laws probably around 6:30 to make sure we have enough time to get to the ferry dock and get in line.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before we leave. In the meantime I've been reading the forums and restaurant reviews.

KathYH