We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytona 500 weekend

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Daytona 500 weekend

Are there shuttles from the hotels or beach to track on race day or public transportation?

First time there for the 500, any tips welcome to make life easier.

Are the outside ticket sellers selling above or below face value?

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
1. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

If your driving the speedway has a free park and ride. They bus you from parking to track. After the race it can take a long time to get of there though. We always buy our tickets ahead of time from the speedway. Hotels are all premium prices and usually have a 3 or 4 day minimum stay. Some offer for a price coach services to and from the track. We found it was quicker to drive because you have to wait for everyone to get back to the bus before they will leave and usually they are dropping at several hotels :( We go every year so know how to time everything. We own time share so we stay at different resorts every year and end up staying 9-14 days. A lot of people fly in and stay in Orlando but I am sure traffic is not great but it is cheaper.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,777 posts
115 reviews
2. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

There will be loads of outside ticket sellers. Its buyer beware tho. Most are legit tickets but occasionally some scammer will be out there. As for transportation I cant help much with that as we always have a car. I would check with your hotel to see what they have to offer. I know there are bus and shuttles but don't know where they pick them up at.

I can say get there early so you have time to visit the vendor booths, there is always a lot going on at the track all day long. Make sure have plenty of sunscreen, even if its cloudy the wind can burn you too. Be prepared to layer, Many years its cold in the am, warm during the day then cold again in the pm.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

I've never heard of a hotel running shuttles to the speedway. They'd probably be overwhelmed. The county bus service Votran has run shuttles from the Ocean Center in past years, although I'm not sure what the status of them is this year. I didn't see anything about it on their website. Me, I always drive and park in one of the near-by paid lots.

On tickets, I haven't bought any from folks on the street in over 30 years, so I couldn't really tell you. My suggestion is to only get them from the speedway or a reputable re-seller. They slashed the number of seats last year so the event did sell out. They did it by taking out the back-stretch grandstand,. They could only ever sell those seats for the 500, and nobody really wanted them then either, so I don't think many folks were sorry to see them go.

On advice, as mentioned, dress in layers, and be ready for it to get very cold and possibly very rainy. I've had to leave the race early a couple of times because folks in my party weren't prepared and started to look like they were getting hypodermic. Even if it's supposed to be nice during the day, the race can go into the night and the temperature can drop like a rock.

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

Great questions! We are going to be there this year, and I guess I haven't asked my husband (the Nascar fan) what time we should get to the track? Suggestions? I recall the race starts in the late afternoon? Sorry - I guess I could look at my tickets, but just wondering those who have been before advice for how long you need to go ahead of race time?

Thanks!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

They moved the race start time back to the original early afternoon. I think it's 12:30 or 1 or something. We usually get there at 10:30 or 11. But, if you want to check out the various attractions you'd probably want to get there way earlier.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

Thanks for all above answers, it all helps. All info is welcome!

Vermont
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
7. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

We are thinking of going over to the speedway on the Thursday before the race. We do not have tickets to anything but would like to see the vendors and enjoy the atmosphere of the race fans. Are there things going on around the track as well as the vendor booths that we can visit without race tickets ? Thank you!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

Yes, there's a large event area on the North East side of the speedway with merchendise trailers and corporate advertising venues. Some of them are pretty large.

Thursday is the twin 125 races, which are pretty popular, so you should expect a lot of traffic. Try to be out of town before the finish to avoid it.

Vermont
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
9. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

Nice...thanks for the info! I'll fight the crowd (or hopefully avoid it if we go early) in Daytona on Thursday and then on the weekend I will be fighting another crowd in Orlando for the Princess Marathon weekend. Good thing I am only doing the 10K on Saturday. Thanks again for the info!

St. Petersburg...
1 post
10. Re: Daytona 500 weekend

Has anyone parked at the Daytona airport? Shuttles to track? Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach