We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

On Daytona 500 weekend; we will be visiting from out of state. We are staying in Altamonte Springs but need to make a run up to Flagler Beach to check on a property. When heading back to Daytona can we take A1A or will the traffic be terrible? Maybe take A1A to Ormond Beach then cut across to Hwy 95? Thanks for your insight.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

So I'm gathering that you'll be up there the day before the 500, returning on the day of the 500, and you're only asking about the trip back.

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to wait until the 500 is in progress. All the roads should be clear or reasonably clear by then and you should have a straight shot. But, the moment the race ends the roads start getting jammed.

If you want to go through before the race, I'm not entirely sure what to say. I-4 from Orlando will be jammed, but West bound to Orlando will be fine. I've never taken 95 at that time in either direction. so I'm not sure what to tell you (maybe somebody else will chime in). But, my sense is it isn't that bad.

Locally, in the Daytona area, traffic tends to flow reasonably well once you get away from the speedway. Again, my guess is A1A will be fine, although I could see a certain amount of traffic right around Speedway Blvd.. Clyde Morris may be busy, but Nova Road and US1/Ridgewood should be just fine.

Assuming you want to avoid the speedway area completely, you could take A1A to SR40/Grenada. Then, take 40 to US1, and US1 down to SR44 in New Smyrna. Then take SR44 over to I-4, and that back to Altamonte.

I hope this helps a little.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

Thanks for the info - we will be traveling on Saturday from Flagler down to Daytona for Saturday's race/festivities. I am guessing that traffic is not as bad for Saturday's race as it will be on Sunday. For the race on Sunday we will be coming up from Altamonte.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,742 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

When we used to go to that area years ago on race day, I-4 was bumper to bumper all the way from Altamonte. I have managed to avoid that side of town on race day for some time now and can't comment on how I-4 is with the extra lane. If it is bad like it used to be, there is always 17/92 and 92.

415 used to be an alternative too, but they have built so much crap near Deltona that it really isn't an option anymore.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

I've never had a problem on 415, including last year. Unless you're heading up relatively early, it's the way I'd go.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

Last year during the race weekend we went to a swap meet in central Florida on Friday and stayed near Old Town in Kissimmee. On Saturday we headed over to the flea market in Daytona. The drive from Orlando to Daytona was pretty easy. The only real traffic was when we got off 4 onto 92 (?). From about 5 miles before the flea market it was bumper to bumper. When we left the flea market we went to the beach to eat and then took A1A to Jacksonville. The traffic Saturday was not that bad on A1A with little or no delays.

6. Re: Flagler Beach to Daytona Int' Speedway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2018, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach