We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

My boyfriend and I are going to Daytona Beach from September 12-18. He's never been and the last time I've been was 2004-2005, before I was even 18. I reserved a room at the Hawaiian Inn condos, flying into Orlando, and renting a car to drive to Daytona Beach.

1. Are there any recommendations of which way to take from Orlando to Daytona Beach? Tolls? Should we bring cash for that? Which highways to take or avoid, etc?

2. What are some good places to eat at near our condo? I believe ours should have a little kitchenette so we'll be eating in the room often, but I'd like to go out a night or two for a meal.

3. What are some fun things to do in Daytona Beach? Snorkeling, little shops, jet skis, day cruises, etc.

4. What kind of weather should we expect in September? What clothes would you recommend bringing with?

Any other recommendations on what to do/where to eat/what to avoid would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for all/any help!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaiian Inn
Hawaiian Inn
1,508 Reviews
Daytona Beach Shores, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

I am not a big Daytona fan, but I can help with a couple of things.

1. Use the 528 to 417 to I-4. Do not take the 528 directly to I-4 during the week around rush hour or you will be sorry.

Yes, there are tolls on both the 528 and 417. See if the rental's Sunpass is worth it or not.

2. Not sure what is near your condo, but I do like the Hidden Treasures in Ponce Inlet.

3. If you like to fish, you can do deep sea fishing out of the inlet. It isn't nearly clear enough for snorkeling.

4. Hot. Labor Day is prime season for Tropical Storms if one forms. If one is offshore and doesn't even get close, it can still kick up some waves and nasty rip currents.

Shorts, T shirts, and a light jacket for the restaurant ACs at night.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Coral
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

We just returned from Daytona beach sad to report so many homeless sad they are very aggressive asking for money we even had scary incident when my son and granddaughter walk to the local 7/11 this was more than panhandling this man asked for a light then proceeded to follow my son and he tried to appear as if he was not following them back to the resort my son had his daughter run to the resort which thank god they keep lobby doors locked only way in is with key any way they both just got in the lobby and doors shut just seconds later the man was at the door.lucky for them he was on the outside looking in

We had been visiting for the last 3 years and I´m sorry to say our last visit until things are clean up in Daytona we love the beaches loved our resort but just don´t need this on vacation couldn't even go to the donut shop without having 3 homeless aggressively ask for money.Its a very sad situation but to bother and scare the tourist is not a good thing sorry Daytona it will be awhile before we return

Daytona use to be our happy place not its just sad.

Mentioned in this post
Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,271 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

I believe if you head south from the airport, you can access 417 toll to Daytona directly.

If you plan to pay cash, you will stay to the right to access the toll booths from the toll road (SunPass will stay on the road, no need to go "through" the toll booth lane).

Stay on 417 toll all the way until it runs out, following the Daytona signs the rest of the way.

There is a Luau at the Hawaiin Inn that is pretty good, food is so-so.

The Greyhound track is a fun visit, free to enter, you can just watch or bet a little. There is a four dog 10 cent bet or you can do $2. bets or more.

Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is interesting.

Top of Daytona for a shrimp cocktail or two and drinks after 3 pm offers amazing views. No flip flops, ball caps or swim suits.

A Daytona Tortugas minor league ball game is fun if they are still playing, if not, tour the park. It's historic.

Aunt Catfish's on the River for great southern cooking and/or shark bites.

The little ice cream spot to the right of the Port Orange bridge, leaving from the ocean has really good ice cream.

A visit to the Daytona Speedway for a track tour is great if you like racing.

The jetty at the south end of the beach near Ponce Inlet is a great picture spot and we've seen dolphin and manatee there.

Watch for dolphins off the beach at your condo and for rays in the water, we've seen a few a bit further south out from the Aku Tiki Inn.

We like the DB area best of all the beaches we've been to in Florida, and we've been to both sides and six or seven beaches. So much to do on and off the beach.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Aunt Catfish's On The River
Aunt Catfish's On The...
3,122 Reviews
Port Orange, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
centerburg, ohio
Level Contributor
933 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

You should have flagged down a cruiser and reported the situation. Police are very responsive

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

The homeless thing is not something that just happened. It has been a problem since at least the 80s.

6. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 July 2016, 23:39
Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,271 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

I meant homeless.

Sorry, I misread a bit of your post.

Sounds like the youngster was with their father and both feared for their safety.

I'm glad it had a safe ending.

Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

There's some good information provided. The weather will be HOT, but you might need a light wrap in some restaurants, etc.

Beach Street, on the mainland just over the Intracoastal Waterway, has some interesting shops.

I hope you have a great time here!

Mentioned in this post
Beach Street
Beach Street
381 Reviews
Daytona Beach, FL
Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
124 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

We never take I-4 anywhere we don't have to, seems to always be some traffic incident. From the airport, we take 528 to 407 (will say to I95-North) and then 95N. If you get off the Port Orange exit you can go straight East over the bridge to A!A/beach.

The North Turn restaurant is one of my favorites, beachside south toward Ponce Inlet and theres a water sports place in Ponce too with parasailing, etc. I think its Ponce Inlet water sports.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Vacation to Daytona Beach, Florida September 12-18

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2017, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach