We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Daytona a good beach for us?

NC
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Daytona a good beach for us?

We will be traveling from

NC to FL to do a Disney cruise but want to visit a beach before I cruise leaves! Will probably be there 3 nights! We have two kids 4 and 10! We don't like small quiet places! We like things to do! But I keep resting that Daytona has become run down? I've also looked at cocoa beach!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Daytona a good beach for us?

We visited Daytona Beach 2 years ago and I didn't think it was rundown. Although it was our first visit so we had nothing to compare it to. I have also vacationed in Cocoa Beach, although it was over 10 years ago, but I'm pretty sure much of the area is still the same. Neither compare to the calmer, and in my opinion prettier white sand beaches that you will find on the Gulf side of FL but I think some people may be turned off from the fact that cars are driven and parked on Daytona Beach and that can maybe in some people's eyes be "trashy" or give it a rundown feeling. Cocoa Beach is much quieter and you will find more things to do in Daytona Beach.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Daytona a good beach for us?

We love the DB area.

We stay at the Best Western Aku Tiki Inn.

It is beach front, has an outdoor ping pong table, shuffleboard, basketball goal, large pool, kiddie pool, bean bag toss and tiki bar with bubbles blowing.

You don't say how long you'll be at the beach, but the wide, flat beach there has plenty of room for ten mile per hour vehicles in their marked off lanes away from the water and sunbathers and kids playing in the sand.

We've never felt in danger or pressured from the vehicles on the beach.

There is a lot to do for families off the beach also. Putt putt golf, Ponce Inlet Lighthouse and museum, Daytona Speedway track your, Greyhound racing at the new state of the art track, go karts, Oceanwalk, Aunt Catfishes on the River and the Daytona Tortugas minor league baseball team at Jackie Robinson park. There is even a Luau complete with fire dancing at the Hawaiian Inn.

We've been to Cocoa, Treasure Island, New Smyrna, Clearwater and others and now it's only Daytona Beach for us.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited: 03 August 2016, 23:40
Orlando
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Daytona a good beach for us?

I would choose Cocoa given the choice between the two, but that is just me. It is only about 5-10 minutes from the Port. Try Clearwater if you want a lot of activity. It is on the other coast.

If you want a downtown area with a lot of activity about 10 minutes from the beach, try St Augustine.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Daytona a good beach for us?

Daytona's beach is great - wide, nice sand, lifeguard stations every 1/2 mile or so, nice water w/ sandy bottom. There is occasionally some undertow (like any ocean beach), so be sure to explain to the kids how to handle that & keep an eye on them.

There are plenty of shops, restaurants, and things to see & do along the beach road too.

5. Re: Is Daytona a good beach for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2017, 13:17