We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Rock Canceled (for now).

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Hard Rock Canceled (for now).

A story was posted in the Daytona newspaper's website a couple of hours ago that the Daytona Hard Rock hotel/condos have been canceled. The developer trying to make it happen said that all the beach driving lawsuits scared away financing. Others chimed in saying he was simply having problems getting financing. Who knows.

Something interesting somebody pointed out was that most artist renderings of the place (initially and for a while) included cars parked on the beach in front of the place. That, and that his requirement that driving be taken off the beach weren't mentioned when the project was announced remove any sympathy I might have for the guy. Beach driving should have been a public part of preliminary discussions.

In the story the developer says he might reconsider the project in a couple of years. Time will tell. Personally, I want to see beach driving remain forever.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard Rock Canceled (for now).

There are portions of the beach where driving isn't allowed, so why didn't he just get property there. I'm sure it would cost more, being up near the boardwalk and such, but hey, it's there.

Where exactly was the Hard Rock going to be located?

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard Rock Canceled (for now).

The Hard Rock was supposed to be immediately South of 701 South on A1A, which is immediately South of Sun Splash Park. I lost track of what they're calling the place now, which was the Texan before the condo conversion. The company owns the dirt lot there, and apparently also bought some property across the street.

I agree on building up closer to the pier. I believe the city had even gotten through all the lawsuits needed to get control of all the little parcels there, so they could start any time. Who says it has to be a Sheraton. Of course the folks wanting to do the Hard Rock apparently don't own that parcel, so they're instead trying to make money by changing the rules.

Edited: 29 August 2016, 08:08
Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard Rock Canceled (for now).

I totally agree. I don't want to see big developers dictate how beach driving is handled.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard Rock Canceled (for now).

Hard Rock was never really a good concept for Daytona....

There wasnt anything new and wonderful....

It wasnt going to be a live venue for music

It didnt have a cool pool deck....

I didnt see a good reason to invest there -- apparently I wasnt alone.

Dont be fooled - if the public would have shown up with their checkbooks out - the beach driving wouldnt have killed the project.....

They were overpriced for our area.....

Renata

No Longer a Daytona Beach Destination Expert -

5. Re: Hard Rock Canceled (for now).

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2017, 12:16